Author Topic: Plastic 101  (Read 23144 times)

Online Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Plastic 101
« Reply #45 on: 05/15/18 14:31 UTC »
Does worm oil keep the bait from sticking to the mold? When can it be put in?

Yes. I just brush a little on before I pour. Works great on tube molds

Offline larryst

• Minnow
« Reply #46 on: 07/08/18 15:33 UTC »
I am sure this question will seem dumb to some, but i just started trying to make my own soft plastic worms and wondered does the soft bait essential series plastisol come with hardener already in it?  The reason i ask is because i have tried twice and my worms have not setup after heating them and injecting it into the mold. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #47 on: 07/08/18 17:20 UTC »
Welcome to the forum larryst. Are you using a thermometer to check your plastisol after heating? It needs to be a full 350° in order to convert it. If it's not 350° or over it will not set up, and stay in a gel state. Checking the temperature with a thermometer is the only way to be sure it's hot enough. Good luck.
« Last Edit: 07/08/18 19:58 UTC by Lines »

Offline larryst

• Minnow
« Reply #48 on: 07/08/18 17:32 UTC »
I will invest in a better thermometer and see what happens.  thanks for the advice

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #49 on: 07/08/18 19:52 UTC »
 Also be sure to mix your plastisol very well before using

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #50 on: 07/08/18 20:00 UTC »
Your welcome larryst, hope that helps.
Also be sure to mix your plastisol very well before using
Also a good point DF makes.

Offline larryst

• Minnow
« Reply #51 on: 07/11/18 06:21 UTC »
ok guys, I went from one problem to another!  I tried to make some worms last night, I shook up the plastic stuff up really well, added the color mixing it well and then put it in an cast iron skillet.  I started heating it with an colemen stove out in my shed with the thermometer in there watching for 350.   I noticed my plastic starting to setup in little pieice when my thermometer was showing around 225, so I I turned the fire off to my stove and then took my injector and got some some of the plastic to put in my swimbait mold.  Well when it setup up, it appears my plastic didn't get in all the channels in the mold.  I then noticed my plastic in my skillet had setup.  I am wondering if maybe I heated it too fast causing it to setup before it all ready.  any thoughts?

Thanks

Larry

Offline bryanmc57

• Keeper
« Reply #52 on: 07/11/18 08:00 UTC »
When heating, the plastisol will go from thin white to a thick gel and finally to a clear thinner state.  As mentioned earlier, you need to take it to 350 before you inject it.  Once it has gotten to 350 you can inject it until it cools down to around 290 - 300.  I would also suggest that you don't add your colorant or flake (with a few exceptions) until after you get to 350 (it's easier to see where you are color-wise working with clear plastisol).

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #53 on: 07/11/18 16:58 UTC »
The tricky part is after reaching the 350 degree mark is keeping at, or near that temperature without scorching in a skillet. I tried a coleman stove, but couldn't keep the temps close enough. An electric hot plate is easier to control. Most guys on here use a microwave. Stirring frequently helps to distribute the heat more evenly. Don't get discouraged, you'll figure it out quickly. There are many pros on here to lead you along.

Offline larryst

• Minnow
« Reply #54 on: 07/26/18 21:59 UTC »
ok guys, thanks for all your advice and help so far, so I gotta show what I did today after work using my coleman stove to heat the plastic!

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #55 on: 07/27/18 00:30 UTC »
Very nice larryst 8)

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #56 on: 07/27/18 06:03 UTC »
Now you're cooking with gas! Those look good larryst. Glad you got it figured out.

Offline eprasmussen@comcast.net

• Minnow
« Reply #57 on: 10/22/18 12:55 UTC »
Hello, I think am would like to get started with soft plastics and building out my basement area to do this,  Any suggestions.  Whats the best microwave WATTage to have, if minimum, looking to by a used one

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #58 on: 10/22/18 13:53 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums!

Microwaves can be fickle. I use a 1100 watt unit but then I have been doing this many years and know how to handle the plastic. To start, I suggest looking for a used 900 watt oven.

READ, READ, READ. There's a ton of information to be gotten right here so taking time to read can save you a lot of frustration. The Essential line of plastic, colorants, and molds are the cat's meow for getting your feet wet and everything that goes into the Essential plastic can be used for other plastics so your ability to play between brands and such is a broad playing field. Get to understand the terms and get familiar with the different products used and then make an order.