Author Topic: Warm Water Fly Ties  (Read 11057 times)

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
Warm Water Fly Ties
« on: 01/04/13 23:01 UTC »
OK Y'all... I'll get this thing started with a couple of bugs I tied this last summer.  Here's a top water "mouse" and a Crayfish imitation there in the back ground.  (I apologize for the less than quality pic... it's about the only fly tie pic I have on this particular little piece of internet wizardry)

Post your warm water flys and jigs here... I want to see them.

Jerry
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Warm Water Fly Ties
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/13 23:14 UTC »
I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend (which runs from Fri - Mon).  Still trying to figure out how to post pictures.  Never claimed to be smart.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline triton 200 xp

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/13 06:47 UTC »
Nice work. How did you post the pic. I posted two flies I made in the gallery but can't seem to make the to this part of the forum
« Last Edit: 01/05/13 06:59 UTC by triton 200 xp »

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/13 07:47 UTC »
Nice flies Jerry!

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/13 08:10 UTC »
Nice work. How did you post the pic. I posted two flies I made in the gallery but can't seem to make the to this part of the forum

I use photobucket.  I upload my pictures to that site and that site creates a direct link to my photo.  Then I click on the insert image button when replying to a  forum (button looks like Mona Lisa) and paste the link between the "img's"  It looks like this after you click the button:

I'll see if I can find your pics in the gallery Triton.

Jerry

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/13 08:17 UTC »
Here is one of Triton's ties...  Nice work Man, I like it and I bet the fish do too. 

Jerry

Offline triton 200 xp

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/13 12:48 UTC »
Thanks Jerry

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/13 13:46 UTC »
It's all good Triton.  I'll post your pics again if you need me to... That's a pretty sweet tie you've done there.

All I did with your pic was to right click on your photo in the gallery then click "copy shortcut".  Then go back to the post I was writing and click the "insert image" button (it looks like a painting of the Mona Lisa) then right click again on the img thingies and then click "paste" to put the copied info between the img thingies...

Usually once I've done that I'll click on the preview button and take a look to see if it all worked properly and then add any text that I need to after that.  Hope that helps, I can't wait to see more pics of some ties you've made.

Jerry

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #8 on: 01/11/13 22:01 UTC »
I found another pic of a Cray Fish pattern I like to tie in the Summer... just looking at it makes Winter a little harsher as I would love to go sling it around this weekend, but...  the water is a little hard right now, so I'll just have to wait I suppose.

God willing, there will be another day.

« Last Edit: 01/13/13 18:44 UTC by Jerry V »

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/11/13 23:46 UTC »
Jerry  -  Hook up boat.  Drive over to I-65.  Turn South.  Go 10 hours.  Find nearest water.  Launch boat.
Or you could dream up an excuse to go see Jason on Lake Fork  ;).

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/12/13 06:46 UTC »
Woah! That's awesome! All these pictures are starting to make me want to tie flies. I actually thought about starting last summer but I wasn't sure where to get all the stuff I needed, or what everything was that I needed.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #11 on: 01/12/13 08:18 UTC »
Woah! That's awesome! All these pictures are starting to make me want to tie flies. I actually thought about starting last summer but I wasn't sure where to get all the stuff I needed, or what everything was that I needed.

When I first started tying a few years ago I did, and still do, a ton of research on the internet.  There are a lot of great resources for information out there and the YouTube videos are the best.  Initially it helped me a great deal to be able to SEE someone do it and then I could repeat it.  My first flys were tied step by step with the video... pause, rewind... play again... pause, play, pause...  once you get a little practice under your belt soon you're able to tie from a written "recipe" or just make stuff up as you go.  That's when it gets fun.

I've done just enough of it to know that I would never want to tie for a living... after an hour of that, I have to find something else to do.  It does take a lot of concentration at times and once I get frustrated with it I quit and come back to it later.  I can't imagine tying dozens upon dozens of flies all the time.

This is a pretty good resource for materials and a lot of other Fly stuff too...

http://www.wapsifly.com/

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #12 on: 01/13/13 18:48 UTC »
Here's one that I tied based on a photo I saw in some Fly Tie magazine.  I don't remember what it was called exactly, but I suppose it doesn't really matter since it is not precisely how it was tied in the mag anyway... perhaps Y'all can help me come up with a name for it.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/13/13 18:55 UTC »
Looks like a bleeding baitfish imitation. You could call it the "Hemophiliac" :D

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #14 on: 01/14/13 19:34 UTC »
I suppose it doesn't matter what I call it... I'll prolly hang it in a tree on my back cast anyway.  With any luck I'll get a few good casts and a couple fish with it before that happens.