Author Topic: Worm weights  (Read 7854 times)

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
Worm weights
« on: 01/20/13 18:08 UTC »
I would like to see a concave bullet weight mold

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
Worm weights
« Reply #1 on: 01/20/13 18:09 UTC »
X2

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
Re: Worm weights
« Reply #2 on: 01/20/13 18:37 UTC »
The way I understand it, a concave back on a weight like that would require a three piece mold rather than the standard 2 piece Do-it Mold.  I believe that they've played with this in the past and found the mold difficult to pour consistently due to the added pieces in the mold.

I think most concave worm weights are machined a bit after casting, but I don't know that for sure.  It boils down to design and trying to make it functional so that any Joe Schmoe can pour the thing without troubles.  I'd never want to see a mold brought to market that will cause anyone an undue head-of-an-ache.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline basshunter5

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 01/20/13 18:40 UTC »
I'm no expert by any means when it comes to lead but I do have an old hilts concave worm weight mold and it has a simple rounded solid insert with a hard wire pin similar to your pull pins. Works good but they are really hard to come by I think they were discontinued.

Offline Dave

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/13 01:17 UTC »

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/13 07:51 UTC »
I have one of the old Hilts molds that has the concave. It has a the insert like Basshunter described. It works OK but is time consuming. It's hard to get the spru to come off clean as well.

Offline kipbass

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/31/14 19:46 UTC »
Anyone use these molds by Do-it? WR-9-A or WR-10-M2. Have they worked out for you? Thanks.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #7 on: 01/31/14 19:55 UTC »
I use the WR-9-A all the time... works like a champ for me.  I also like using the Slip Jig mold SLIP-6-A and adding a skirt to the mix sometimes, make a nice little package.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc