Author Topic: Alternative to powder painting  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Jeff Little

• Keeper
Alternative to powder painting
« on: 02/17/13 19:07 UTC »
I like powder painting.  It's a good system.  But I've been doing a lot of it.  I know, don't complain about success.  There has to be a way to crank these out quicker with an air brush and corresponding paint that cures as hard as powder paint.  Anyone out there using such a system, or know where to look?  The business is cutting into my fishing time!

Offline basskat

• Kicker
Re: Alternative to powder painting
« Reply #1 on: 02/17/13 21:51 UTC »
You can spray powder paint on.They have a liquid you mix with the paint and spray away. Let it dry a few minutes and bake. It cost more and cuts into your already small profit margin is the draw back. About the only time I use it is on spinnerbaits.

Other than that I've never found anything that is better or faster.

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/18/13 11:26 UTC »
Sounds like your next step may be electro static powder coating, systems are well within our means but I have no experience with the process.

http://www.powderbuythepound.com/home.php

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/18/13 13:43 UTC »
Basskat - Who makes the mixing liquid that allows airbrushing the powder paint?  I was not aware of it.

Offline gone2long

• Kicker

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/18/13 19:46 UTC »
Thanks.  Have you tried it?  How long does it take to dry?  In your opinion, how well does it work?   I powder paint then apply other paints ( non powder paint ) and then cure.  I want to overcoat with the clear powder sealer; but this has been somewhat problematic.  This might solve that problem.

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/19/13 05:21 UTC »
I personally have not used it but I read a thread I think it was on TU about it.

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 02/19/13 15:56 UTC »
It doesn't take long to dry. You need to bake it after it dries because it's powder again. If you rub it the powder comes off. I only use it on spinnerbaits, other baits are faster and simplier to use a fluid bed.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 02/21/13 05:46 UTC »
Powder is the fastest and toughest I have found. I made a Fluid bed out of 2" pvc pipe on line sell for 50-100$ made 4 for under 40$ you need 60 gallon aquarium pump or small air brush compressor. They do have air brush that spray powder paint. mike
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/01/13 07:50 UTC »
Of all the coating possiblities out there it will be hard to surpass powder painting unless you are going to dip hundreds and thousands of jigs.

The new Mother company here, Do-It, sells  the line of liquid dipping paints for jigs but it needs to be thinned to handle well and fluorescent colors need to be undercoated with white. Lure Craft has Poly-Sil which is more in line with epoxy in that it requires you to mix two parts to get your paint. The Poly-Sil will require a base coat for fluorescent colors too. There are some water-based air-brush paints now that get plenty of attention too. You have a ton of options but basically you'll find a bunch of extra handling with anything liquid where powder paint goes on and gets set right in the oven on the drying rack and the colors do not require any undercoating to look nice.

If you do powder paint, by all means get a fluid bed put together and get accustomed to using it. A fluid bed will cut your painting time in half.

Every coating on the market today has its advantages and draw-backs. Most are cheap enough to try for a short time to see if you find advantages over your current method of painting. Head finishes are just like the clothes we buy in that the one-size- fits-all ideal just doesn't cut it. Some will work in certain situations while others might not work at all. Play around and find which works best for you for your own application.

For those that are not aware of this, many of the glitters we use in our plastic tolerate the heat of powder painting and can add a whole new dimension to a head finish.The pearl and hi lite colors we use in plastic will also go into powder paint AND into the paints sold here at Do-It to create some mind bending finishes. Finishes are just basic coverings. Use your imagination to take your head colors a step futher. Remeber, the angler looking at your products judges them pretty harshly. If you have something that isn't an everyday color, some of that scrutiny comes down.
« Last Edit: 03/01/13 08:06 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline long shot

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 04/25/13 18:31 UTC »
I use flex coat

Offline long shot

• Yearling
« Reply #11 on: 04/25/13 18:32 UTC »
With Flex Coat you can use regular spray paint or nail polish and then protect it with the epoxy coating.  It opens up alot more options in colors.