Author Topic: freshwater surf fishing  (Read 2167 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
freshwater surf fishing
« on: 04/30/13 14:22 UTC »
Just about like salwater surf fishing today what with the wind.

A friend and I ventured out to my pet crappie lake this morning and gave it a go and we were met with success, but not without some challenges from a stiff wind. Upon launching we decided we were going to need to anchor. Then it got to be double anchor. Once we hit "the spot" and got settled,  my first cast came back with a fat 13 inch white hanging onto the hook.

The water has come up in temps since my last trip out. The first location we fixed on had been cribbed but the cribs aren't good until we see a bit orf heat in the water and the last few days in the 70's with sun filled that need. For two hours it was often a fish each cast with several doubles happening. It was nuts fishing because we were only  three feet under a float so we could run the baits over the cribbing and the cribs top out at four feet in 10 feet of water. It would have been fun to run a camera down to see what the fish were doing but it was apparent that they were not down in the cribs. Most hits came from the side, few upward. The fish were aggresive.

The wind finally moved us up the channel and we worked some deeper water that has an abundance of suspended sucken wood right on the deep water break. 3 feet deep again and the fish we got off this sort of structure were super nuts. When they hit the cork simply flew to the side five feet before any downward movement was made.

All told we maybe caught in the area of 50 fish. I kept 5 for a meal and my bubby kept a handful for his family's dinner tonight. They filleted nice and clean.

It was good to get on the water and the company was the best. We've got winter forecast to return tonight and sour weather for about a week. I'll wait out the crud then hit it again. Everything today was taken on either a purple with chartreuse tail or bluegill with chartreuse tail baits. 1/32 heads fished under a #3 Thill Mini-Stealth float set at three feet.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: freshwater surf fishing
« Reply #1 on: 04/30/13 18:38 UTC »
Thanks for the report.  Nothing like a nice spring breeze  ???

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: freshwater surf fishing
« Reply #2 on: 04/30/13 20:10 UTC »
The breeze was about 35 mph sustained. I don't even want to know what the gusts were.

Sky's blacker than tar, lightning, thunder, rain right now. Not much of a blow, but all of the other components are handy for a good, old-fashioned, thunder bumper. I looked at our weather map and these boomers are one right after another for tonight.....sleep will come easy later. Nothing knocks me out better than the sound of rain.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast