Author Topic: A couple nice colors  (Read 7028 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
A couple nice colors
« on: 05/23/13 11:15 UTC »
I did up a couple test batches of colors, one blue and one green, for a friend using a Jacob's mold and this is how they turned out. The new Do-It hi lites were used in both colors. Both colors use, in part, CCM colorants and the plastic is the CCM soft formula. Both are 4 ounce batches.

The green is the original formula baby bass CCM color, 3 drops, with just a swish of transparent green on a toothpick plus a chunk of black scrap about 1/2" long by 1/4" diameter. The black helped bring the green down a notch in brightness. The green hi lite was maybe a hair larger than a match-head. A good dose of .004 green glitter finished the color.

The blue is 4 drops of Bear's turquoise along with a couple quick toothpick dips of midnight blue stirred in. Again the hi litewas just a bit larger than a match head and the glitter was a .004 turquoise glitter.

The belly white is 4 ounces of CCM soft, 2 drops of CCM regular white, 2 drops of CCM regular white pearl, and a touch of silver hi lite.

I'm still on the fence with the blue but the green works good for me. The friend wanted a blue, blue and I guess this fits the bill...at least he's happy with it. I really like blue but I like a deeper shade of blue. The blue shown here is sure a nice color though. In the hand the hi lites in both baits really sing. It never fails that the camera angle is just so that the hi lites get muted in the pics. The fairly heavy dose of .004 glitters really come alive in the hand too, but the camera's filtering quiets it down in the sun too. I think I need a light box. 
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: A couple nice colors
« Reply #1 on: 05/23/13 12:07 UTC »
As usual,  Really good looking baits. 
No self respecting fish would refuse to bite those.

Offline MonteSS

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/23/13 12:12 UTC »
Really nice. Maybe thinner black line?

Bass here have alot of gold in them so I use a green with 015 gold and slight gold hilite.

...Bill

Offline BrynM31

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 06/20/13 20:39 UTC »
Those look awesome! great job

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #4 on: 06/20/13 21:34 UTC »
Very nice baits I especially like the blue.

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/21/13 09:42 UTC »
Fantastic as always, Tom! 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/21/13 10:18 UTC »
Thanks all.

Monte mentioned maybe a thinner line thru the center. These baits were done using a belly mold in conjunction with the lam plate. The bellies get trimmed and re-set in the belly half of the mold and it then gets shot again using the lam plate. The belly portions get trimmed as wanted, re-set in the belly half and finished with the top color. I could get a thinner line if I hand poured the belly section but for making numbers of baits the belly plate is the way to go.

I can confirm that the walleyes don't give a rip about a heavier center line. That is all that matters to this boy.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/21/13 12:31 UTC »
Center line looks fine to me.  Baby bass, lined topminnows, chubs, dace; they all have a fairly noticeable lateral stripe. 

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/21/13 15:28 UTC »
Wow those are perfect pours, amazing! I would love to see your tackle box lol

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/21/13 21:18 UTC »
Me too - MoQuack -  With all the cool stuff Ctom posts; I would have trouble figuring out what to fish. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/22/13 09:42 UTC »
My tackle is a pretty simple affair.

I make three or four shots of each new colors and color schemes as I "discover" them and they go into a zip lock, then into a 5 gallon pail. Since I fish walleyes and panfish that means I have at least two pails. If I am going crappie fishing, that's the pail that gets the nod on any particular day unless I am riding in someone else's boat and the fishing is up to what wants to hit....then I'll take both pails and appropriate rods. When I fish alone its either or so the amount of stuff I haul is kept at a minimum. Since boxes would cost me a fortune, I keep all like baits in gallon sized zip locks, then to the pail they go. Any new colors or shots from un-tested molds go into a gallon bag marked test....this bag can see a lot of attention.

My jigs are handled a little differently. The larger jigs used for walleyes go into a 3600 plano box and are sorted by color, not size, in each head shape. My crappie/panfish jigs are kept real safe in Rose Creek jig boxes, of which I have several. I keep a full range of color in 1/32 using a size 8 hook. The same in a size 6 hook and yet again in a size 4 hook. All hooks are sickle hooks. Between the sides of each box I have a piece of 1/2" soft foam to hold those jigs tight to prevent coming loose in the box. If I make a few test colors, they get slipped into the foam as per hook size, and when I make those new colors I do a handful in each of the three hook sizes mentioned. And if they turn out to be duds, those are the ones I give any passengers who show up "expecting" to fish from my stash. lol

I keep some floats in a quart sized zip lock and my forceps and clippers and handy-dandy eye cleaning tools are on lanyards, two of which are in each pail.

I do have one pail where I keep a half dozen smaller 6" X 10" boxes with different crappie baits seperate along with a few floats and the tools listed here that travels with me when I make my quick morning trips. When time is limited, I focus my fishing on that which is proven itself in the field. I might have a couple pieces of new stuff in small zip locks in there but generally if I have this pail in tow I am serious about fishing.

The concept is easy. Everything is kept visible not only for color but for bait. They are kept dry. Everything can be handled with an absolute minimum of confusion or clutter. Boxes cost a lot of money and way too much time is spent on organization than needs to be. The pails...they are free and I have listed the benefits. The cover for each pail has had all but two of the clips cut off so UI can cover the buckets and all but throw them anywhere and keep everything inside, inside but still easy to get to. The system works for me nicely.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Billmo

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 06/24/13 20:54 UTC »
CTOM do you mind if I ask what Jacobs mold that is...  I have someone looking for a bait thats close to the 2" Powerbait Minnow. We use them for trout in the winter here.. Killer bait for the bigger models..

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 06/24/13 21:13 UTC »
Beautiful baits in a bucket lol who would of thunk it  ;)

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 06/24/13 23:41 UTC »
Billmo...

That is the 3" silverfish mold with the split tail. He also has a silver fish with the same tail design that is 2 1/4" list under the panfish molds of over 2". Same name of bait, just 2 1/4. 
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they