Author Topic: Tips to make you a better angler!  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Tips to make you a better angler!
« on: 05/28/11 08:59 UTC »
I don't know how much certain things really help or not, but here are a few things I do that I truly believe make a difference:

1) Line diameter - I usually go bigger than I should, but know smaller is more productive (I'm just scared of breaking off a big one)

2) Underwater Noise (thumps in the boat - noises that will be picked up by a fishes lateral line).  A good example is a trolling motor or depth finder.  We have an ongoing debate which is louder, my trolling motor or outboard.  Yes, something is wrong with my trolling motor.  However, I think it just may be a brand thing and they are so pricey to replace...

3) Clothes - you may think I'm crazy, but I truly believe not wearing white or bright colored colors makes a difference when fishing less than 20'.

4) Boats - try and stay as far away from your target as possible.  This is just a belief, however, it has been proven wrong so many times I don't know why I believe it.  I've bumped trees, flipped 2 feet from the boat and still caught quality fish.  Whatever, I think they do it just to mess with my head.  

5) Slow down.  I don't know if this is universal, but for me, slowing down my presentation, and picking apart an area has produced good results.

6) Last but not least, the splash.  Even though I have literally thrown right on top of a fish and had them strike the bait, I believe overall greater success can be achieved with a quiet entry, preferably not directly on top of the fish.

Please share any bits of wisdom, proven or otherwise.  Tide, wind, current, colors, scents, etc...  One thing I would be curious is if anyone has any indicators they use (certain birds, turtles, shad blowing up  :o, etc.).

Have a safe Memorial Weekend.

Tight lines!

Jason
« Last Edit: 05/28/11 09:04 UTC by Jason »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Tips to make you a better angler!
« Reply #1 on: 05/29/11 13:57 UTC »
Please don't misinterpret the title of this thread, it is soliciting tips we may not know of and can try to help us all be better.  I know some of you have things you do that you have confidence in.  If you have any good  ones you don't mind sharing I would love to try something new, especially if it made me a better angler.

Jason

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 05/30/11 20:12 UTC »
This kind of goes along with slowing down...

You have no idea how many bass your actually fishing around. My tip is to slow down (or maybe speed it up) and figure out how to catch those fish. If your confident that an area is holding fish and it has reason to( bait, cover, deeper water) than it more than likely is, and lots of them. Easier said than but, you just need to figure out what want and how they want it. 
Prime example- I was fishing with a buddy on a lake I fish all the time in early July and we were fishing a new spot we had found. It was a house foundation that was not marked on our map and it was in 19 ft of water. It was a very intact foundation but than it had broken rock all around it. It was also about 100 yds from a prime point. Baitfish were in the area. We could not catch a single fish as we fished this small area for about an hour and a half. My buddy had an underwater camera so we dropped it down to see what we were fishing. What we saw was absolutely amazing. Roughly 15 3-6 pound smallmouth all suspended about 2 feet off the bottom. We tried tubes, drop shot, football jigs with no results. After we saw the fish were there we decided to keep fishing the area. We both tied on silver buddys. We let them fall on slack line to the bottom, then quickly ripped it up about 3 feet. Well wouldn't you know we 6 smallies each from 3-5 pounds. Awesome!

I hope you get my point. If you think/know their there, slow down or speed it up and figure it out. They are there and here are more than you can imagine. Catchem em!!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: 05/30/11 20:38 UTC »
That's a good one.  It would probably make us sick if we knew how many fish come within a foot of our bait.  I know testing lures a lot I have fish trail them on a regular basis.  I've had a few that we're real nice size. 

Any tricks to get them to hit it at the boat???  I saw on a fishing show once he took the bait and just ran it in circles at rods length, he got bit.  I haven't tried it yet.  I usually slow my retrieve or stop it, I've had less than good results trying this...

Jason

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 05/30/11 21:17 UTC »
The only time I really ever see followers is during pre spawn when fish for smallies and this comes when I'm ripping a jerkbait. To be honest, when they follow it a few feet from the boat they'll usually hit it before it reaches the boats edge or at least swat at it. That's when I follow up with a wacky rigged carrot. It's a 1-2 punch that typically works. My advise to you would be to follow up with a wacky rigged carrot, lightly weighted. Come to think of it, whenever I miss a fish that's what I come back with. It usually does the trick.

Offline MikeInCtown

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/11 09:57 UTC »
FWIW when I have been fishing in ponds the splash with a Senko or a craw is usually when I get my hit. Bait hits water and bass slam it. After the bait has been sitting there a while, I never get anything.

One of the most interesting things I heard was KVD talking about how he found the fish during the classic. He KNEW patterns, weather, water clarity, and what was under the surface. His reasoning was so simple, yet for most people, including me, takes a lifetime to learn. I originally saw the interview on ESPN3.com, but it may be elsewhere by now.