Author Topic: Scents...  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Scents...
« on: 06/26/11 17:24 UTC »
Do you put scents in your baits, in your bags, or both? 

I'm curious to know as this can impact how a mold works.  Basically scent is a softener and if it is added to you plastic prior to injecting it softens the plastic.  Depending on the mold, and how much you add, it can impact the quality of the bait it produces and the durability of the bait.  This can be good, or bad, depending on what you are trying to achieve.

If I add scent (I normally just use worm oil - Upper Hand if I use scent) I add it to the bag of baits.  Mainly to help get them in the bag.  Over time the baits will absorb the scent / oil, this is why I don't normally add it to the plastic.

Just to toss another variable out there, colorant is also a softener (pigment normally cut with plastisizer).  If you are adding both scent and using a lot of colorant in a bait, you could drastically change the firmness of the bait.  Again, this may be good, or bad, depending on what you are looking for.

Last but not least, do you think scent matters?  Have you seen a difference on the lake?  Was it in the bag, or in the bait?

My personal opinion is that foul or foreign scents matter.  I think it can cause a fish to pass on your non-reaction strike bait.  I believe scent should be neutral, or natural if possible.  I personally have not had an experience where I can say for sure adding commercial scent has made a difference one way or another....

Jason

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Scents...
« Reply #1 on: 06/26/11 17:59 UTC »
I just use scent in the bag. I personly think it covers the human scent from handling the bait. The fish don't eat the bait; if they pick it up and hold it that's long enough.

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 06/26/11 19:56 UTC »
I would put scent in my plastic during it's last microwave introduction, and then again when I bag them....complete overkill I have come to learn. Like Jason said, when you add scent to the bag, the baits soke them up like a sponge over the course of a few days. So, I will not be adding scent,or at least AS MUCH scent during the cooking process anymore.

And a side note, I literally just got done reading an article that spoke about scents. It was in bass angler magazine, September 2011 issue, just came out. It spoke about the whole topic of scents, etc. Something that I did not know is this;
"bass use their sense of smell to detect prey, find a mate, and detect pollutants. They can smell the presence of pheromones, sugar, salt, alcohol, amino acids, and bitter substances. Because bass can only detect biological or chemical scents that are water soluble and in molecular form, any attractant or stimulant that is oil based will not be perceived since oil is insoluble in water and the attractant molecules too large. The chemoreceptor can only detect scent molecules that are the same size or smaller than the receptor itself."

It does go on to say however the oil based scents will mask other odors....

So, what I take from this, oil based scents will NOT attract fish, but will mask deterrent odors.

There's a lot more in the article, very good read!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: 06/26/11 20:49 UTC »
Thanks Nick.  I must not have got to that article yet, but that is exactly the type of info I was looking for.  I'll have to read it, but it sounds like I was partially on the right track with the foul scent theory...

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #4 on: 06/27/11 09:09 UTC »
I add 3 drops of scent to my HOT plastic as I don't like the "plastic" smell from resulting baits when cooked. While this may not affect fish, it DEFINITELY affects the fisherman/woman. May result in less sales. Whether science can nail how a bass detects the bait or not, a fisherman/woman must have confidence in the bait they are throwing to catch. Stinky paint smell or plastic smell never gives me confidence I am going to catch.

Many of my customers ask for very little or no scent to be added to the bag. Makes a big mess and the everwhelming odod of garlic gives me a huge headache and stinks up the boat soooo bad.

With that, I will add a drop or 2 of scent in the final bag but no more.

I have noticed that some scent barely smell so it is just softener being added. Just a waste of softener to me!

Jim

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 06/27/11 14:26 UTC »
I used to think that you HAD to have scent, salt, and more scent on your baits.  But once I started to pour my own baits, I realized that you really don't need all of that stuff.  It's more about masking any deterring odors like the plastic smell that Jim talks about or the sun block that's on your hands.  I'll just put some scent in when I get ready to bag the baits.