Author Topic: Where do you cure your powder painted jigs?  (Read 5710 times)

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Where do you cure your powder painted jigs?
« on: 12/11/13 11:35 UTC »
We do you cure your powder painted jigs?

In the kitchen oven?

If not....why?

In a tabletop oven?

If so...do you have a recommendation on what to buy that has good temperature control at a reasonable price?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline sim

• Kicker
Re: Where do you cure your powder painted jigs?
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/13 11:39 UTC »
I have a toaster oven in the garage that is dedicated to that task - similar to this one - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-6-Slice-Toaster-Oven/12533813

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #2 on: 12/11/13 11:46 UTC »
Ditto re the toaster oven...cheap and works great.

Depending on how many jigs you may be making, you might also consider buying a jig holder from TJ's... tjstackle.com .  I've got six of them and they are really good time savers.

Offline RonDon

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/13 12:14 UTC »
Toaster dedicated to painting!  It's a good idea to check your temps because I haven't found a toaster that is accurate yet.  I tend to use lower temps for longer time period.  I also built a rack out of allthread.  Hooks sit in the threads and don't slide into each other.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/13 12:50 UTC »
Kitchen oven at 190 degrees for 40 minutes IF I decide to cure them. Normally they don't get the cure job and when they do its because I have dipped a clear vinyl top coat on over the powder coat and want to force dry the vinyl. After 40 minutes I kill the heat and wait for the oven to cool to room temp. Jigs done as such have a super hard surface so its best to open the eyes in the powder coat before the vinyl dip and heat treatment.

Great question Andrew. I'll have more on my technique in a few days.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/11/13 16:50 UTC »
The small ovens not being the correct temperature has been my experience and that is why I started doing them in the kitchen oven.

But now I'm questioning the safety of doing that.

I'm hoping someone has a recommendation for a table top oven that does have correct temperature controls that they would recommend. All I know for sure is that the cheap WalMart ones...DON'T !
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/11/13 16:54 UTC »
Powder paint doesn't fume while curing in my experience so it should be fine in the kitchen. Most people bake this stuff too hot and probably too long.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/11/13 17:24 UTC »
I use a toaster oven, the one I got was like $60 bucks because it had to be large enough for my curing rack and also fit my spinnerbaits. You are right about them not being calibrated too well but get a 5 dollar oven thermometer and set the oven at 350 or what ever temp you cure and leave it in for 15 minutes and see where the temp needs to go. It took my about 30 minutes to get it right and I only use the oven to cure with so the temp knob never gets touched, I recheck every 5 curing cycles and adjust as needed.

Offline sim

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 12/11/13 18:40 UTC »
what smalljaw said - get a toaster oven that is designed for pizzas, etc - it will get to and maintain the temp - you may have to test it to calibrate slightly. (I've never calibrated mine - I set it @350 - put the timer on 30 - set the jig rack in it - come back in an hour - we're done.

There is a 'world' of difference between a $30 and a $60 model - and if this part of the process is important to you, spend the extra - it will last longer.

As for fumes - no, there isn't much - but 'sometimes' if you get a bit to much powder on them - there will be drips.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 12/11/13 20:05 UTC »
  Toaster oven it works fine. I put it at 350 and come back in 45 minutes.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 12/11/13 21:52 UTC »
I also use a toaster oven.
Mine has 2 racks and came from a garage sale.
I have hooks in it so my long saltwater can hang horizontally or vertically.
For small jigs I do like Tj's jig racks.
I hang a cheap oven thermometer in mine to insure the temp is right.
Works great and much easier than the kitchen oven for me.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: 12/12/13 10:07 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/12/13 03:03 UTC »
I use the kitchen oven. 350 for 30 minutes.

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/12/13 10:39 UTC »
I have thought about the issues of heating lead in the house oven myself.  This is way below the melt point; but, gives me reason to ponder.  I know the paint is extremely low VOC  as well; but; also, is a thing I think about.  Possibly, a small oven ( used appliance dealer ) dedicated to this would be ideal if you had a shop or area and that was adequately wired ( or maybe propane ? ).   

Offline Shane

• Yearling
« Reply #13 on: 12/12/13 12:49 UTC »
I cure in kitchen oven, maybe I shouldn't but im not changing for 300 jigs a year at most.
In life there are winners and losers.  Not everyone deserves a trophy.