Author Topic: inline lures  (Read 5895 times)

Offline fliesforall

• Minnow
inline lures
« on: 03/09/14 19:49 UTC »
so I have a do-it lure body mold for in-line spinners and and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what brand of blades and size would best match each body size?  I have tried a few from Janns but I don't think they are wide enough cause they just wont start spinning.

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
Re: inline lures
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/14 22:07 UTC »
I use a lot of Jann's #4 French blade for in line spinners, work great for me.  I use their clevises too, not the folded ones.  I've used their willows, Colorado, and Indiana blades; all with good success.  What lure body are you using? Size and weight would be helpful to know.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/14 22:54 UTC »
Body core wires are about .040 wire.  I traded for mine and while they have the wires in them once I powder and cure I pull that wire and use .030 to make my actual spinner. 

For 1/32nds for real small trout streams I'll go down to a .024 wire . 

For 1/32nd  Size 00 or 0 whatever blade you want to use - 6 or 4 treble
For 1/16th  Size 0 or 1 whatever blade you want to use.  usually 4's unless I'm using longer tail material
For 1/8th   Size 1 or even up to a 2 whatever blade you want to use. 4's or 2's

Clevis - size 2 folded, I used to use the stirrup clevis's but found the square end of the edge was catching stuff in the water and for me personnally the folded ones work better.  If you go up to the really big spinners use the stirrup clevis. 

Sometimes when using spinners and I use a crosslock size 1 snap with mine - it takes a snap of the rod tip to get the blade turning and then a nice steady retreive.  Been making spinners for a long time and love using them

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/10/14 06:42 UTC »
  I use Jann's as well. I have found if you use a French blade it will start easier then an Indiana will. I think I use a #3. Hildebrandt makes a good blade too. But they cost more.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/14 09:20 UTC »
Flies for all, fatman is right on.  Pull the inserts and use lighter wire for the mail shaft.  I use .024 or .029 as well. 

French blades seem to be the easiest spinning, but the Swing blades from Do it or Jann's are a good Rooster Tail type imitation. 

Make sure you are using a clevis that corresponds to the size of the blade.  Too big of a clevis will allow the blade to tip back towards the body and will cause non spinners.

Another great option for spinner bodies is BTM-5-SA bottom bouncer mold.  Here too, oil and pull a pin and you have a nice spinner body.  The BTM-5-M makes slightly bigger for Musky Bucktail bodies. 

I have also used the WR-9-A worm rig sinker for Panther Martin style spinner bodies for years.   

I straighten a paper clip, run it through the hole,  powder paint them, and the paper clip hangs in the oven for baking. 

Marc

Offline fliesforall

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 03/17/14 20:38 UTC »
Thanks guys I will check some of these out.  my mold makes 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 oz but I probably will only go as low as 1/16.  I tried some indiana blades and did get better results than the willow blades I think because the willow blades had about the same profile as the lure body and just kind of laid down flush with it possibly due to wrong sized clevis.  Are the swing blades a wider profil than the willow of the same size?  That looks like it may be just what I need as I need a replacement for the roostertails we go through a bunch of them in the creek I fish.  Anyway thanks for the help.  ALso have any of you guys made a spinner in the 3/4-1 oz range looking for something for salmon and I think it would work well if balanced right.

Offline fliesforall

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 03/17/14 20:55 UTC »
Also not sure if it matters or not but I am running these with a single hook as the trebles are a pain to get out not sure if that would throw the balance off and cause a spin failure but thought I would put it out there.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 03/17/14 22:46 UTC »
The swing blades are a little wider than the willows with a rounded point.  Thats what is on the original rooster tail. 

The single vs treble hook shouldnt have any effect on the balance.  If you dress the hook with bucktail  it can have some effect... it usually helps.

For heavier baits, I use the bottom bouncer weights or worm weights.  For 3/4 or 1 ounce spinners for salmon I would recommend something like a #5 French blade.

If you even have spin problems look at the Pen-Tac Dream Clevis 2000.  They are incredible.  You can bend a regular clevis to give it that look.  It really helps get a blade spinning easier. 

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/19/14 13:11 UTC »
I would recommend a flared cone and a bead above the lure body... the flared cone causes the water to flare out and away from the lure body (which helps separate the blade from the body), and the bead reduces friction for easier spinning.