Author Topic: Infra-Red Thermometer  (Read 1569 times)

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Infra-Red Thermometer
« on: 08/20/11 08:44 UTC »
Need Help here. Anyone want to recommend a Thermometer?
Anyone want to report a termometer to avoid?
I have searched and there are quite a few out there.
Some have reported that theirs has problems reading clear plastic; others have problems reading shiny metals.
What are using that does a good job for you? 
Lower end price recommendations?
Upper end price recommendations?   
Thanks.

Offline BassDetective

• Lunker
Re: Infra-Red Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: 08/20/11 09:11 UTC »
Couple of things to know about Infrared.

1)  Infrared measures surface temp only.  This is important because the plastic at the bottom if heating from a burner is hotter than the surface plastic

2)  Emissivity can affect temp readings.  Definition:  The emissivity of a material (usually written ? or e) is the relative ability of its surface to emit energy by radiation. It is the ratio of energy radiated by a particular material to energy radiated by a black body at the same temperature.  Some thermometers can adjust for emissivity and some cannot.

3)  The spot.  The spot is the surface area that is used to calculate the temp reading.  Since the plastic should be uniform this is usually not an issue when reading at close distance.  But be careful of shining pan material which can reflect off plastic and increase temp readings.

Offline TAE73

• Kicker
Re: Infra-Red Thermometer
« Reply #2 on: 08/20/11 10:02 UTC »
I bought one from Habor Freight, I believe it was 29.99 on sale. I dont hardly ever measure temps now, over time you will should be able to judge the plastic by stirring it.