Author Topic: Drop shots  (Read 3868 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Drop shots
« on: 04/21/14 11:35 UTC »
I finally stepped up and got the finesse drop-shot mold to cast a few for crappie fishing. Over the last couple years I have seen an up-tick in productivity fishing crappies and panfish using a drop-shot rig. Since the learning curve involves some snags I decided I needed to make these weights instead of buying the packaged weights.

I didn't bother with the 1/32 or the 1/16 ounce weights and started right in with the 1/8 size and burned up a package of the line clips. The mold shoots amazingly easy even though those clips are a source of eye strain. I think I did the 100 you see here in ten minutes hand casting. Trimming the sprues is simple too. I twisted all of these to remove the sprues. Now that I have an assortment of weights I'm sure the technique will get easier to master.

The 1/4, 1/2 and 5/8 ounce weights could actually see some walleye fishing if live bait comes into play.

The store-bought weights I have been using are round and while I am sure bass anglers may fined favor with them I think this finesse shape will suit me better in the over-all. When we start seeing the crappies duck down into deep water when the heat turns on these will be getting a workout.

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
Re: Drop shots
« Reply #1 on: 10/18/14 23:40 UTC »
I modified the bottom bouncer mold for my drop shot weights... Works great going in and out of weeds etc.  Many sizes to choose from too.  ;)

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/14 05:09 UTC »
Pics were requested of the mold... Nothing fancy here. Just a drill on the drill press. I would use a small end mill if I did it again. This works just fine though.

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/14 05:17 UTC »
I actually made this mold for my Jika rig weights using the SS size "0" sinker inserts... But works fine for the drop shot swivels too.

I also like that I can read the weight sizes while on the lake... I wish all of the sinker molds had this.
« Last Edit: 11/07/14 05:32 UTC by 21xdc »

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 11/07/14 05:20 UTC »
How low can you go?  :P :o

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/07/14 21:11 UTC »
You could also put a straight piece of stainless steel wire in it and making sure not to fill the whole sprue you'd have bodies for making in-line spinner bodies 

Offline fuddmann17

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 11/11/14 23:57 UTC »
Pics were requested of the mold... Nothing fancy here. Just a drill on the drill press. I would use a small end mill if I did it again. This works just fine though.

Perfect thank you for posting do you have any completed pics ? I was also looking at the inline sinker mold and have one ordered. looked great to me and another simple and easy modification to make the bigger sizes im wanting !

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 11/12/14 05:41 UTC »

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 11/12/14 05:52 UTC »
The mold you bought, may not need any mods...