Author Topic: Maybe someone here can answer this one.....  (Read 2709 times)

Offline knifemaker3

• Kicker
Maybe someone here can answer this one.....
« on: 04/24/14 17:03 UTC »
I was just shooting some plastics but stopped due to the wind outside my window with the fans in it blowing so hard it was stopping the fans and the fumes weren't venting correctly.  I stopped after 2 pours.

I used to be on a hazmat tech team when on the volunteer fire department and got to wondering if the bad stuff in the plastics is heavier or lighter than air.  I know the smoke blows out with good ventilation but that doesn't mean the bad stuff is really going out.

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this one.  Got me to wondering if we aren't doing our ventilation the wrong way.  Just because the smoke can be seen going out doesn't mean there isn't other fumes that are not being seen that are laying down around our feet without us realizing it.

Just curious food for thought.  Not trying to start a big fight or anything so everyone please stay civil. 

I know I've got to update my workstation with better ventilation.  As long as the wind doesn't blow I don't have any trouble, or at least it doesn't seem like I do.  But, I'm going to get something better real soon since I'm getting back into pouring again.

Thanks
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship
Craig's Outdoor Sports
www.craigsoutdoorsports. com

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
Re: Maybe someone here can answer this one.....
« Reply #1 on: 04/24/14 23:20 UTC »
I'm sure jerry has the MSDS for the plastic that will give facts not opinions. With that said good ventilation is a must 

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/25/14 09:37 UTC »
Being educated on things like this is never always a good thing.  Your health is paramount, and your lungs / circulatory system is vital. 

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/25/14 15:06 UTC »
 I always wear a respirator. You still need good ventilation, but to me it's worth the discomfort of wearing one to be safe.