Author Topic: Fly Fishing SE Minn...  (Read 2190 times)

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
Fly Fishing SE Minn...
« on: 05/10/14 21:14 UTC »
I'm going to be making a day trip to Southeast Minnesota with my brother and dad in a few weeks. I need some help as to where to fish at. I'd like to do mostly fly fishing for trout if possible, but if there's any great spots for bass that information would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Fly Fishing SE Minn...
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/14 22:27 UTC »
I'm sure Andy Lamberson will chime in here soon.

If you are going to be in the Winona area, you'll be pretty well set. Tons of trout waters spread all thru that corner of the state, especially the Whitewater Valley area. The Mississippi River runs right along Winona and has plenty of bassing opportunities in backwaters and along miles of rip-rap.

You can get some free maps and other info at    www.mndnr.gov/fishing/trout_streams

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/14 11:29 UTC »
Thanks for the information and the link Tom, I'll definitely check it out

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/11/14 12:51 UTC »
There are a LOT of excellent, wild trout streams in SE MN and SW Wi.

I fished Trout Run near Rochester yesterday and hit a super caddis hatch at 12:30. Landed 16 browns from 10-15" in an hour. Then the rain came and that was the end of that!

What town are you going to be staying in?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/11/14 14:21 UTC »
There are a LOT of excellent, wild trout streams in SE MN and SW Wi.

I fished Trout Run near Rochester yesterday and hit a super caddis hatch at 12:30. Landed 16 browns from 10-15" in an hour. Then the rain came and that was the end of that!

What town are you going to be staying in?

That sounds like it was a bunch of fun! I think the plan as of right now is to take a 4-seat plane owned by a family friend over to Winona and then drive up to the Whitewater River and fish that area for the day and then fly back home in the evening, but the plan could change from now to when we actually go in a few weeks