Author Topic: New Dude  (Read 10455 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: New Dude
« Reply #15 on: 07/21/14 20:41 UTC »
I received my 4.5" Ring Worm Mold today and just had to run some plastic through it at lunch....and that is one sweet looking bait. To make things a little worse (as far as getting back to work on time!) I had to give it a few casts and that tail action really is nice. I landed one medium sized smallmouth before feeling guilty about being back late from lunch.

A very easy to mold bait. I'm going to make a pile of these!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 07/21/14 22:18 UTC »
Look at the flippin zip I like it because of it's shape.

I couldn't agree more... the Flip n Zip would be my first choice and the Thump Grub would be my second for year round walleye baits.   

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #17 on: 07/22/14 00:04 UTC »
I use a lot of the super fry  in the fall on the power shot set up and catch 95 %  the walleye's on the top hook with a super fry or a 3" glider.  8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 07/22/14 16:56 UTC »
"feeling guilty about being back late from lunch" Yeah right!  JK ;)  LOL Yup, the ringworm mold will be the one I cut my plastic making teeth on. Love that bait.

I have tried a similar bait to the flippin zip here but the fish shunned it. Go figure

Another good fall bait for when the bite goes neutral to negative and my standard plastics get ignored is the Super Doo. Two falls ago that was a lights out bait for me. I am looking for a mold akin to that one too.

Thanks for the replies all.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 07/22/14 20:56 UTC »
I have tried a similar bait to the flippin zip here but the fish shunned it.

Where's here?

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 07/22/14 21:01 UTC »
I received my 4.5" Ring Worm Mold today and just had to run some plastic through it at lunch....and that is one sweet looking bait. To make things a little worse (as far as getting back to work on time!) I had to give it a few casts and that tail action really is nice. I landed one medium sized smallmouth before feeling guilty about being back late from lunch.

Andy, just curious how far you were from work when you caught your fish... could you walk back to one of the riverside plants (like RTP), or did you have to drive a distance?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 07/22/14 21:56 UTC »
I work at RTP....so it's pretty easy to sneak down at lunch...or launch the boat right after work!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 07/22/14 22:11 UTC »
I figured you had to be close.   ;)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 07/23/14 04:45 UTC »
Where's here?

Rock River , Southern WI

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 07/23/14 10:13 UTC »
Right on... I have relatives along it in the Northern part of Illinois.  I've had my feet in it, but never fished it, so your experience rules there.

I just know the Flippin Zip is my number one bait for walleyes; I've caught them from 8 inches to 8 pounds on it.  If the shad run on the Rock with any numbers, then I would think the walleyes should readily gobble it up there as they do on the Big Miss.  Actually, I would think walleyes should eat it even without shad present as they readily eat small bass, perch, etc.   

Of course, the bottom line with this, or any bait, is confidence.  If you have more confidence in the ring-it, then you will fish it better; and any bait fished better will tend to produce more fish.  (I typically downsize to a ring worm -or Thump Grub- in high pressure scenarios.)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 07/23/14 10:26 UTC »
I've fished those "other" baits similar to the Flippin Zip during the late fall when the shad are being run thru the dam rollers as the water temps dive. I'll be sport'n the Flippin Zip this fall and think I'll do better with it. That "other" bait has some design issues I just don't care for while the FZ is really well balanced. I tossed a couple of them in a local retention pond a week or so ago on a morning walk and the bass certainly enjoyed hammering them.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 07/23/14 17:09 UTC »
Right on... I have relatives along it in the Northern part of Illinois.  I've had my feet in it, but never fished it, so your experience rules there.

I just know the Flippin Zip is my number one bait for walleyes; I've caught them from 8 inches to 8 pounds on it.  If the shad run on the Rock with any numbers, then I would think the walleyes should readily gobble it up there as they do on the Big Miss.  Actually, I would think walleyes should eat it even without shad present as they readily eat small bass, perch, etc.   

Of course, the bottom line with this, or any bait, is confidence.  If you have more confidence in the ring-it, then you will fish it better; and any bait fished better will tend to produce more fish.  (I typically downsize to a ring worm -or Thump Grub- in high pressure scenarios.)

Well, If you're not a fair weather fishermen ( No offense intended) then maybe later this fall I might have an open seat in the boat so you can take a poke at a RR eye and or sauger. I fish up until I can't break the ice at the boat launch. Last year I spent 45 minutes busting ice from the area I wanted to fish before giving up. I should have known better as it was one of those days where you can watch the ice form right next to the boat. Glad I didn't lose a trailer light or my transducer. LOL Anyhow, think about it.
ZERO Shad up this way ( Above Janesville) The main forage here are Sheephead from 2 to 4-5". If you check the contents of 100 eyes/saugers %80+ will have little Sheepheads in them. Little Great Whites ( Whitebass) minnows and the occasional perch make up the rest. Well, there was the one year that the powers that be decided to stock small muskies. The walleyes loved em = Num Num. LOL

I was eyeballing the DD Gill mold thinking a certain color would do the trick ( It might) but I've not had much luck with Shad style bodies here.

For sure confidence is a big part of fishing any bait , crank, plastic,  whatever but if fishing plastics full time these last 4 years has taught me anything it's that sometimes it pays to get "out of the rut" and try new things. I'm sure glad I did.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 07/23/14 23:29 UTC »
Well, If you're not a fair weather fishermen ( No offense intended) then maybe later this fall I might have an open seat in the boat so you can take a poke at a RR eye and or sauger. I fish up until I can't break the ice at the boat launch.

Sounds like the perfect time to be out! 

I can't count the times I've pushed across the ice to get to open water... I even got wet a few of the times doing it, but the fishing is just too good not to keep going.  (If a fella wants to keep fishing in these conditions he must always wear his life vest and he must never tell his wife of those "Peter" experiences.)  Not only it the fishing good then, but the difficulty factor is a great deterrent to many, so I get lots of hook-ups on quality fish with no prying eyes as with open water.  It's tough to beat that time of the year if you like throwing jigs!

Offline TommySkarlis

• Kicker
« Reply #28 on: 07/30/14 08:05 UTC »
Got it.

I figured the ringworm was a pretty strait forward mold to start with. I've caught a pile of fish on them through the years.  Looking forward to trying my hand at making them.

Any other favorite plastics for eyes ?

Welcome aboard Bryan!  I've got a lot of friends that fish the Rock!  Been meaning to get out there: "Too many ponds, not enough time................." Sigh

The K-Chub Grub is a great shape, I fish it and the 4" PowerBait Pro Grub.  Another great one is the new mold: Thump Grub.  My buddies on "the Rock" seem to swear by Gulp! so the shape I would try would be the Fat Bottom Shad or at least I would spray any plastics used there with the Gulp! scent.
« Last Edit: 07/30/14 20:46 UTC by TommySkarlis »
Take somebody fishing soon!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 07/30/14 08:23 UTC »
A little trick with the Gulp spray....

Put a small cotton pom-pom on the line before you tie the jig on. These little fluff balls come in a lot of colors and the size I like id about 1/2" to 3/8". I use one in a color that will agree with the head color of the jig. I use a needle to get them in the line. Give them a spray and go fish. After a while I squeeze the water out and re-spray. The scenting hangs on a lot longer and stronger and they are cheap by the bagful.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast