Author Topic: Sinker molds not filling to complete bank sinkers  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Meyerpeter2

• Minnow
I have a problem new to this but my bank sinkers about 1out of4 will come out ok the others in the mold only 1/2 fill but lead comes out the top like it's filled  help

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
Re: Sinker molds not filling to complete bank sinkers
« Reply #1 on: 08/31/14 15:08 UTC »
If it's a brand new mold, it could be that your lead isn't hot enough. What are you melting with?
If it's a used mold, give it a good cleaning to make sure there isn't any tiny bits of lead stuck anywhere (vents and that area)

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/31/14 15:15 UTC »
x2 with jl but what size are you pouring??  Make your lead hotter and tilt the mold at an angle as you pour it in, you might have to let it sit a bit longer after being filled so they harden up.  If your ladle pouring and have a pointed pouring side you could take a tri angled file and file a fine groove perfectly in the center of the tip to make a fine pouring groove. 

When I used a LEE hot pot II ladle I did this and it really helped. 

Let us know how you make out!!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/31/14 15:34 UTC »
It could be WHAT you are pouring too. If you are using wheel weight metal you'll find that there are a dozen different metals that make up as many different alloys and when mixed in the hot pot they can bring headaches to even larger capacity molds.

By the way, welcome to the Do-It forums. Lots of happy help here.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/31/14 16:58 UTC »
Did you smoke your mold or use casting release spray on your mold first? Makes a big difference in easy mold pouring.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/31/14 17:28 UTC »
Some good advice so far. I would add that you make sure you warm your mold up before pouring. You can either set the mold on top of the LEE pot ( if that is what you are using) while it warms up and/or pour some sinkers just to get the mold up to temp. I usually do both. You will get some dud sinkers but the goal is to warm the mold.

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/31/14 20:24 UTC »
One of the most important considerations is the size of sinker and pouring method.  If you are pouring a weight larger than 2 ounces, you need to be using a ladle.  Using a bottom pour melter will allow the lead to solidify before the cavity is full.  If you have a little more info, we can help you figure it out.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 08/31/14 22:51 UTC »
I agree the mold needs to be hot.
More than 3 ounces use a ladle instead of a bottom pour pot.
I also spray all of my molds with Frankfort Arsenals Drop Out . It is a graphite mold release spray and work great.
Spray it on the mold and it should last many castings before you need to reapply.

Offline CrawdadsFishingTackle

• Keeper
    • Crawdads Fishing Tackle
« Reply #8 on: 09/15/16 08:49 UTC »
I agree make sure the lead is hot, as well as your mold.  If the mold is cold it will cool off the lead as it is being poured in.  If the sinker weight is too big than use a ladle.  Make sure you use good lead.  Wheel weights are good but if you get any zinc in the batch than it will clog it right up. 
Any other questions I am always here to help!
Tight Lines,
Jason
www.crawdadsfishingtackl e.com