Author Topic: Change up your football jig trailer game!  (Read 4078 times)

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Change up your football jig trailer game!
« on: 09/19/14 23:29 UTC »
Hey everyone, just wanted to give you all a new idea for a trailer to try next time you're out there throwing a football head jig looking for some good fish.  On my home lake (Lay Lake, AL) we've been killing them on wacky rig all year.  One of the crazy things I've done for a long time is using 3-5" senkos as a trailer just threading them up the shank of the hook and throwing them out there.  This has caught a lot of fish for me over the last few years.  Earlier this Summer when the fish moved off shore I had run out of sticks to use this way because I had torn them all up on both ends.  So, I wacky rigged my trailer on my football head.  It looks goofy, stupid, and just plain weird but for some reason it WORKS!  I caught a lot of the fish on the fall when I was stroking the jig and catching the more active fish but I also caught my fair share dragging it along the bottom as well. 

Next time you're out there and are thinking of something new to try, wacky rig a senko on your football head jig.  Who knows, you might just hook up with a good one!

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Change up your football jig trailer game!
« Reply #1 on: 09/20/14 00:06 UTC »
I'm going to give it a try.  The worst that can happen is the saying "No".

Welcome to the forum.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/20/14 00:08 UTC »
That was my thinking when I tried it for the first time.  Worst thing that can happen is they don't eat, best scenario they hammer it. Of all the really weird ways I've caught fish this might be the weirdest.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/20/14 06:11 UTC »
I take it your fishing it on a football head with a plastic skirt? What colors do you like best? most of us fish black/blue, watermelon. etc. Thanks for the idea!

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 09/20/14 07:16 UTC »
  Well that is thinking outside the box. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 09/20/14 12:17 UTC »
Yes, with the skirt on.  Most of the time it is some watermelon, green pumpkin, browns or black. 

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 09/23/14 10:49 UTC »
There is something about the general shape of a stick worm that seems to work no matter how you use it.  I am going to try it!

My first stick bait mold was a POP mold where I used a Sharpie pen (clip removed) as the pattern.  They killed that thing! 

Good idea!

Marc

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 09/24/14 17:51 UTC »
I've used them so many different ways.  It truly is a versatile bait even though it might be one of the most simplistic designs out there.  Another way I really like to fish them is Texas rigged using a weighted swim bait hook.  With the weight underneath the worm you still get some of that wacky rig presentation while also being able to work it on the bottom like you would any other lizard, tube, etc.