Author Topic: Burnt plastic  (Read 5305 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Burnt plastic
« on: 10/15/14 10:55 UTC »
I'll post this here since this relates to a common problem.

Once in a while a clear plastic will get a bit too warm and brown out. For me this most often happens with my clear cover dips, those used to seal eyes. After several re-melts or back to back re-heats this plastic, regardless of how much stabilizer is poured into it, will begin to brown out on me. I generally let the cup cool and then chuck the contents into a bag to be used for black baits later on. This isn't a good candidate for smoke however. The other day I had a bowl of eye dip start to brown down and since I was doing darker baits just let it pass and finished what I was doing. The browned plastic though sat in the cup until the next day and I got to thinking about maybe using it for something other than black.

I posted a picture a couple days ago of a 2.5" fry bait that I made by thinning out the browned plastic and adding some glitter to it. I still had a big chunk of the browned plastic that was un-touched and decided to try another idea, this time without thinning.

What's show here is the top color being the browned plastic. No colorant has been added. I did add some .015 purple glitter and splashed in some gold and green hi lite. Nothing at all wrong with how this color came out. I did three colors of eyes so you can see how eye color can sway the way we see a body color.

The long and short of it is though, that sometimes what is perceived as ruined or wasted can have a use that, like Mo's Mighty Mouse, saves the day.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Burnt plastic
« Reply #1 on: 10/15/14 11:03 UTC »
Those would be perfect in a brown trout stream!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline MonteSS

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/15/14 11:38 UTC »
Great combo there.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/16/14 10:51 UTC »
Here's the same combination of plastics done in a 3" split-tail fluke bait. This bait has a little more body density so it shows more depth to the over-done color. The eye selection here really makes the bait and colors pop.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/16/14 11:17 UTC »
 Good stuff Tom.  I like to use discolored plastic for mayflies.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/16/14 11:23 UTC »
Theres a perfect color for natural looking bugs. I have done the same D.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #6 on: 10/16/14 11:36 UTC »
Just curious. Does the burnt smell of the plastic disuade the fish from biting?

I am guessing not after opening a bag of Zoom baits not that long ago.

Just curious about that side. Nice color!

Jim

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/16/14 13:44 UTC »
Here's my take on this.

We humans smell smells different than fish in that we breathe air. Fish get oxygen from water and smell entirely different from us by sensory cells that are sensitive to specific scents carried in the water. Not air. In fact, since fish "smell" in a water environment it is very unlikely that they would be able to something that is not water soluable....as in the plastic unless a water-based scent is on the surface of the plastic. If a plastic burns, we think it stinks....fish more than likely only see the color change or intensity of the light reflected. The remnants of burned plastic would have to be soluble in water and then only if the fishes smell receptors were geared to smelling those smells.

One of the arguments to this is fish scents. Many are oil based. However, the oils used in the scents that fish can smell or sense, are probably high in vegetable based oils that allow some mixing of water based ingredients in minute, but intense, amounts. Salad dressings offer an excellent example of vinegar and oil being able to mix with simple shaking. I use steam extracted Anise oil to make a scented worm oil to add to plastics. Since the Anise here is a water based derivative that has been blended with an oil, fish can likely pick up the scent of the anise. Burnt or singed plastic is entirely different. There is nothing involved to smell that is even slightly water-based.

The best way to determine of an oil is soluble is to determine if we can ingest it. If we can eat it, it is most likely an oil that can be mixed, at least in part, with water. If a scent can be mixed with water, it can be assumed the fish can smell it. The plastic I used to make these baits is in no way compromised to the point that it would be soluble so there is no way fro a fish to pick up this smell. And in fact this plastic did not have an order to it anyway other than the smell of plain old plastic.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #8 on: 10/16/14 17:02 UTC »
Those would be perfect in a brown trout stream!

I always thought that trout preferred clear water
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 10/16/14 19:30 UTC »
punny ;D
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 10/17/14 06:10 UTC »
Here's my take on this.

We humans smell smells different than fish in that we breathe air. Fish get oxygen from water and smell entirely different from us by sensory cells that are sensitive to specific scents carried in the water. Not air. In fact, since fish "smell" in a water environment it is very unlikely that they would be able to something that is not water soluable....as in the plastic unless a water-based scent is on the surface of the plastic. If a plastic burns, we think it stinks....fish more than likely only see the color change or intensity of the light reflected. The remnants of burned plastic would have to be soluble in water and then only if the fishes smell receptors were geared to smelling those smells.

One of the arguments to this is fish scents. Many are oil based. However, the oils used in the scents that fish can smell or sense, are probably high in vegetable based oils that allow some mixing of water based ingredients in minute, but intense, amounts. Salad dressings offer an excellent example of vinegar and oil being able to mix with simple shaking. I use steam extracted Anise oil to make a scented worm oil to add to plastics. Since the Anise here is a water based derivative that has been blended with an oil, fish can likely pick up the scent of the anise. Burnt or singed plastic is entirely different. There is nothing involved to smell that is even slightly water-based.

The best way to determine of an oil is soluble is to determine if we can ingest it. If we can eat it, it is most likely an oil that can be mixed, at least in part, with water. If a scent can be mixed with water, it can be assumed the fish can smell it. The plastic I used to make these baits is in no way compromised to the point that it would be soluble so there is no way fro a fish to pick up this smell. And in fact this plastic did not have an order to it anyway other than the smell of plain old plastic.

That's how my ex would explain things to me. Then I would tell her "I wanted to hear was no"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 10/17/14 20:12 UTC »
I knew I could get a rise out of someone.

Your EX....she'd still explain anything to you?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 10/20/14 22:04 UTC »
I like to use discolored plastic for mayflies.

Me too, it's about perfect!