Author Topic: Bat jig  (Read 12027 times)

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Bat jig
« Reply #15 on: 11/15/14 22:30 UTC »
Hey Fatman - the easiest mold modifications are done with epoxy putty.  (There are multiple brands to choose from, but I go with JB). 

Just pinch a little off, mash it around to mix, put it in the mold (with the hook, keeper or whatever you want in position) and close the mold to form; then use wire or small nail to remove the portion you don't want filled in, and let the rest harden. 

The putty stays put when tinkering, and most have at least a five minute working window, so there is plenty of time to get things just how you want them.  I've used putty to modify my panfish jigs to accept smaller hooks and it's pretty much a cinch... I wouldn't let it scare me if I was looking to modify as you seem to want.

Offline jmelton

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 12/17/14 04:13 UTC »
 Just recieved My Bat jig Mold!! Great jighead love to smallmouth fish on our lakes and rivers.Also fish for crappie in our home lake!!! Good mold swims through brush and around rocks!!! Have been using the Do-it wacky mold for this but Bat Jig is the ticket well thought out jig mold!!! Thanks will try and post pic's.We added do-it wacky wire guard works great!! Alos will be good for tying crappie jigs and smallmouth jig's Thanks for a great product!!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 12/17/14 10:45 UTC »
TWIMC  ;)

Bat Jig is the ticket well thought out jig mold!!!

Offline ifish

• Minnow
« Reply #18 on: 12/17/14 16:41 UTC »
Looks like to me with the collar it would be hard to get everything tight in such a short piece of collar. I like my stuff against the head to make it look better and help protect the thread.   I would modify it in a heartbeat. I think Do-It made a mistake here and does not want to change production. Anyone tying this yet?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 12/17/14 16:55 UTC »
I think Do-it made the Bat Jig to work with plastic baits..because everyone whined (me included!!!) that the Snootie jig didn't have a wire keeper on it.

If you don't want the collar ...and the wire plastic keeper...mold it without the keeper and cut off the collar with your gate shears.

I tied up some marabou jigs the other day with both the collar and the wire on the jig and it looks just fine. Now I can use a small grub on a marabou jig and the darn grub with stay straight!

They're darned either way they go! ;D
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #20 on: 12/17/14 17:53 UTC »
I think Do-it made the Bat Jig to work with plastic baits.

Precisly!  It was designed for use with plastic baits.  I don't see the tiny collar being much of an issue to tie over or around but it wasn't really intended to be used as a hair jig.  It's sorta like using a wrench to pound a nail.  It'll work, but it's a lot easier and more effective to use a hammer.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 12/17/14 18:23 UTC »
Gee, if I liked the head design but not the collar for tying I'd just order the mold, leave the wire out and trim the collar off and tie.

"I think Do-It made a mistake here and does not want to change production."....and I don't think they'd put something into production if there was something that needed changing. The head the mold makes has a specific purpose. Outside of that purpose if you need the head done otherwise, mod away.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline ifish

• Minnow
« Reply #22 on: 12/18/14 04:09 UTC »
I am curious why the nub was designed into the head. Is it to help keep the wire keeper from coming loose? The round head mold with the wire keeper gets loose if I handle them wrong coming out of the mold. I am always curious why someone designed something the way they do. I am learning CAD and looking at a lot of angles in design. It sounds like the prototype did not have the nub and was added for some reason. I am a big fan of Do-It and was only trying to say that after something goes into production it is hard to change gears. I think this design will be a classic in a few years. I have a mod up my sleeve to make it weedless like a slider. I have a few patent pendings and everything is not always perfect for every situation you try to design things for. Jerry tell Jason Heifner that Buddy from Ky. said hello and maybe next time we can catch some fish!! LOL
« Last Edit: 12/18/14 15:37 UTC by ifish »

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #23 on: 12/18/14 05:57 UTC »
The collar is pretty tiny really.  That picture makes it all look pretty big but it's not much to deal with.  I would tie directly behind it and finish the tie with a couple of wraps on the collar itself.  Personally I don't see it as an issue.

Incidentally that collar was added not only to help support the wire form to hook junction, but at the request of some of our tournament Crappie anglers wanting to have something to glue plastics to.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #24 on: 12/18/14 20:48 UTC »
Took the plunge today and purchased the mold!