Author Topic: Airbrush help  (Read 3783 times)

Offline 1boom

• Kicker
Airbrush help
« on: 11/14/14 14:31 UTC »
Thinking about buying unpainted jigs to paint but have no idea where to start? What airbrush is good for a beginner, what paint seems to work the best? Any info would be great. Thanks
I'd rather be fishin'...

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
Re: Airbrush help
« Reply #1 on: 11/14/14 15:38 UTC »
Thinking about buying unpainted jigs to paint but have no idea where to start? What airbrush is good for a beginner, what paint seems to work the best? Any info would be great. Thanks

The best best of advise I can give is there isn't a beginner air brush out there. There are Two types of airbrushes cheap that suck and quality ones. A quality one makes it soooo much easier for beginners. I use an iwata about a 200 dollar rig with a .35 tip. I've used cheap ones which work great at first then die. The cheaper they are the harder they Are to keep clean. A clean brush is a happy one.  The reason folks that slap some nice ink down use higher end brushes is because it saves time and better spray not because that brush does something super cool special.

Offline 1boom

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 11/14/14 16:15 UTC »
I found a new on ebay for $70 and its a iwata neo. I've read that gravity feed is the way to? Just want to see what all I need and how much I'm looking at ($$$) to get started off on the right foot. Thanks for the info mo.
I'd rather be fishin'...

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/14/14 17:58 UTC »
I found a new on ebay for $70 and its a iwata neo. I've read that gravity feed is the way to? Just want to see what all I need and how much I'm looking at ($$$) to get started off on the right foot. Thanks for the info mo.
I have a neo they are the better of the cheap but looks for sales and for an extra 40 bucks or so you can get a purdy kicking brush

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/14/14 19:14 UTC »
Gravity is the way to go. And I have a cheap brush. And hate it. But I'm asking Santa for a new one

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/14/14 22:20 UTC »
Gravity is the way to go. And I have a cheap brush. And hate it. But I'm asking Santa for a new one
Justin Santa is giving  you a shovel full of reindeer poop

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 11/15/14 07:33 UTC »
DeVILBISS DAGR Gravity Feed Dual-Action AIRBRUSH Auto Car Paint Spray Gun Hobby. A nice airbrush

Offline Igor

• Keeper
« Reply #7 on: 11/16/14 01:15 UTC »
Soft baits can be painted with airbrush?

Offline 1boom

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 11/16/14 04:51 UTC »
Yes they can but you need to put a sealer coat on just like a crankbait.
I'd rather be fishin'...

Offline Grizz12

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 11/23/14 19:46 UTC »
Have to love hobby lobby and a smart phone. I bought a new iwata eclipse, had a 40% off coupon.
"Anything that makes you giggle,smile,or laugh Buy It or Marry It!

Offline Kdog

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 11/24/14 14:46 UTC »
For Jigs, I prefer powder coating.  Less initial outlay. 

For air brushing, buy the best you can afford. But you probably should look into an airbrush basics class at a local arts center or vocational school. I thought I was pretty good with one until I took a 3 week, 4 hour  every other saturday class.  The class was 150 dollars, you got to use a dozen or so different air brushes and learn everything you ever need to know about air brushing.
Wishing y'all tight lines and bent wriggling rods. Happy Fishing!