Author Topic: Light Lure Castability  (Read 10040 times)

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/PrcrGEj5ZwM
Light Lure Castability
« on: 02/08/15 00:40 UTC »
Do You have at least 1 rod that can cast light baits/lures accurately and far enough that it satisfies You?  Can You wield it and Cast a SINGLE 1/16 oz. or 1/8 oz. rig plEnty distance (we're not in a casting contest), and still fight and land, with confidence, Gulf Coast Inland Saltwater Speckled Trout and Flounder, and even Redfish, consistently?  Can You repeatedly, deliberately, throw light baits and maintain confidence in its Integrity to land Keeper Fish?

I can...and do.  I fish a lot of Inland Saltwater with fairly Light Tackle, and do well.  I fish a Shimano Teramar SE 7' 6", Extra-Fast Action, Medium Power Spinning Rod that totes a Penn Battle 3000 loaded with Sufix 832 10 lb. Green Braid.  Talk about a long-casting Master of an Inland Rod.

Ever cover water on top of shallow flats?  Presenting the lure without burning it, while Casting and Retrieving?  A similar rod as I've stated above will let You throw the baits You need to be throwing.

Ever fish from a Kayak in Skinny Water?  I haven't, but I fish out of an equally tiny Vessel in Skinny Water and I tear fish UP.  That's some Light Tackle scenarios right there...don't get caught using Heavy Gear in water You can walk in, in Inland Saltwater...get geared to cast the light stuff...
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016
".o.v.e.r.p.o.p.u.l.a.t.i .o.n."  Earth
"My Finesse Worms are Better Than Zoom's"  BKJ

.the 800-pound Gorilla Cometh.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Light Lure Castability
« Reply #1 on: 02/08/15 07:19 UTC »
   I'm not much into fishing real light tackle. For me light is an 1/8 oz shaky head. I've said many times I like my 5/8 oz jigs because they are way more accurate and bass don't care how heavy they are. About the only time I go light is fishing for walleye up north. I'm like you I like a long 7'6 pole with fluorocarbon. I always like a one piece pole too. A two piece just doesn't have as much feel to it. Plus you get a better fight out of a longer pole. And isn't that what we come for ?
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/08/15 10:16 UTC »
Baton rx8. 822.5 xfast tip . Casting.  Hell of a shaky head rod and can cast forever.   

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/08/15 11:01 UTC »
I can see our definitions of "light" differ a little. Light to me is 1/32-1/64 and 2,3,4 pound line.

I use longer rods though with a 6'6" being about my favorite size. I do have rods to 7 1/2' for working deeper water while casting light.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/08/15 11:56 UTC »
Roger dat, Fella's.  The Teramar Spinning is my best in Inland Salt for the light stuff.  My light-side in Fresh is a 7' 6" TFO, Medium-Light Power, Fast Action, that carries a Penn Battle 2000 with 6 lb. Sufix Green Braid...heavy in Toms world.  I kept this one heavier because a few aspects in this rod's application ask for a little more.

There are things coming...get ready...heed the thread!  Mmmmwwahahahaaaa!
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/15 18:33 UTC »
I had a coworker that would use a fly rod with a spinning reel and light line to cast ice gear to crappies in the open water... put him in his element and he would get as many crappies as anyone I ever knew.

Offline b.eipert

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/15 10:38 UTC »
I love my 7 foot 10 baitcaster. The tip is soft enough that I can still sling my 1/16 oz tubes but still has enough backbone to cast Alabama rigs.
Puns are the most dignified type of humor
I have yet to see a bait that wouldn't look better in my tackle box

Offline AJayToRemember

• Keeper
« Reply #7 on: 02/10/15 15:27 UTC »
I love my 7 foot 10 baitcaster. The tip is soft enough that I can still sling my 1/16 oz tubes but still has enough backbone to cast Alabama rigs.

Wow that's a broad range, what rod are you using? Might have to get one of them.
-Jay Hendricks

Never underestimate the determination of a fisherman.

Offline mike27

• Kicker
  • fish god tackle
« Reply #8 on: 02/10/15 15:39 UTC »
that what I was thinking a bait caster and rod casting a 1/16  tubes  that light for that set up
rule #1 the bass don't fly south for winter

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/10/15 16:14 UTC »
Also, what's the reel. Didn't think any baitcaster reel could throw 1/16!

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/10/15 16:29 UTC »
My main Bass Rod is a Shimano Carbomax 7', Med.-Heavy power, Fast action, toting a Shimano Calcutta 200B with 15 lb. Seaguar Red Label...I can cast a single Super Stinger (shot In Soft) on a Gamakatsu 3/0 EWG (584) weedless/weightless with plenty distance and accuracy.  Same rig, same hook, I change to a Do-It 6" Finesse Worm (not El Gus) and keep fishing and dishing, no problem.  Talk about Finesse, BayBay!  I doubt that plastic/hook combo weighs 1/16th of an ounce, and it has bulk.

With a 1/16 oz. jighead plus a plastic body...ZoomZoom!  1/8 oz. plus a plastic?!  Peeyaawnn!
« Last Edit: 02/10/15 16:36 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016

Online billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 02/10/15 16:33 UTC »
Wow that's a broad range, what rod are you using? Might have to get one of them.

My neighbor due to his arthritic hands  uses a 7' 10"  light bait caster, using a Closed Spinning Reel  set up, seems to work for him.   ;)

billygee   ::)

Offline mike27

• Kicker
  • fish god tackle
« Reply #12 on: 02/10/15 16:38 UTC »
bkj  how

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/10/15 16:51 UTC »
bkj  how

Uuhhh...I really wish I knew how to answer that.  The last few times I went Bass Fishing, I was doing exactly what I mentioned in my last post...and did WELL.  To try to answer Your question...1, I started using a casting rod/reel at a young age, in the backyard for hours at a time.  2, I lube my reels regularly, and use oil and grease NOT intended for that purpose (not even sure if WHAT I use is a factor, or not).  I haven't upgraded my reels' bearings to Boca's, but have considered it.

I consider myself proficient, but far from the best.  I can show You much better than I can tell You.  It would please me to attend a Get-together...!  Now do know, when I say "plenty distance", with the single weedless/weightless Super Stinger or 6" Finesse Worm, I'm not meaning 70'-80' casts like I'm throwing a 1/4 ounce or 3/8 ounce Spinnerbait...I'm talkin' 40' casts.  "Plenty distance" meaning average, general fishing.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my choice of words...I edited this post to reduce my mild prick-ness.
« Last Edit: 02/10/15 17:04 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
"TaunT-O"  BKJ...2015
"DeJa Vu"  BKJ...2016

Offline mike27

• Kicker
  • fish god tackle
« Reply #14 on: 02/10/15 16:58 UTC »
am I new to baitcaster  maybe two or three seasons  but the lighter  lure I go    the more problems I have     no distance maybe a time thing   thanks for info