Author Topic: Colors for chatterbaits  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Colors for chatterbaits
« on: 02/09/15 07:07 UTC »
I always used white, or white; chartruse, but watching Major League fishing Finals; ,Suggs (who won) was using a green pumpkin color. I also see Barlow's has black chatterbait blades. Just wondering what colors you guys have had success with.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
Re: Colors for chatterbaits
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/15 07:34 UTC »
This is funny you should ask that, a buddy of mine called and asked me if I ever made black and blue bladed swim jigs and when I thought about it I can't remember ever doing that color. What is worse is that most of the colors I do are baitfish or bluegill imitatiors, the closest I've come to green pumpkin is my green gill color which is watermelon with a powder blue accent, the name of the skirt material is molting craw.

Offline wishn4fishn

• Yearling
« Reply #2 on: 02/09/15 07:42 UTC »
I did well last year with a bladed jig using the molting craw that smalljaw stated. Also did good with a Okeechobee craw color.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/09/15 07:54 UTC »
We do well with GP smokin shad on a chatter bait.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/09/15 09:05 UTC »
Anyone use black chatter blades? Sounds like I need to get another skirt tab order ready!

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/09/15 10:19 UTC »
Yes to the painted blades.  Yes, Yes, Yes!!!  In fact I don't use unpainted much anymore.  When the whole chatterbait craze hit I fished them on a couple clear lakes in northern WI and they were ho-hum at best.  But I could see that blade flashing all the way back to the boat and I thought maybe it was too much.  So I powder painted some black and some watermelon blades and it was night and day in clear water.  I probably increased my catch X6 by getting rid of the flash.

Recently I have done Smoke powder paint and those blend well with most jigs.  I use almost all dark colors.  Its kind of a non-committal dark color. 

I have tried cutting some out of clear lexan and it's not strong enough.  Clear would be the "bomb"!

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/09/15 10:39 UTC »
Thanks for ,the information. I have only fished the silver blades with white or chartruse skirts, seems I have a lot of new testing to do!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/09/15 17:45 UTC »
Yes to the painted blades.  Yes, Yes, Yes!!!  In fact I don't use unpainted much anymore.  When the whole chatterbait craze hit I fished them on a couple clear lakes in northern WI and they were ho-hum at best.  But I could see that blade flashing all the way back to the boat and I thought maybe it was too much.  So I powder painted some black and some watermelon blades and it was night and day in clear water.  I probably increased my catch X6 by getting rid of the flash.

Wow, I'm going to try this on my musky sized ones as I most often fish clear water and have only had spotty success with them.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/09/15 18:07 UTC »
  I make an all black chatterbait. In muddy water or dark cloudy days it works pretty good. I take the blade and sand it and then powder coat it black. Seems to stay on better. The other thing I like to do with them is I make the skirt like you would a jig but I take four strands and run them about two inches past that. Those four strands will dance like crazy and I think get you an extra bite or two.

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/09/15 18:17 UTC »
I'm really liking this discussion. First time I ever tossed a chatter bait was last summer and fell in love with it. A friend made a few for me and now I'm hooked.

Offline Dfiene1

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/09/15 18:53 UTC »
Is their a head design that works better for a chatterbait than another?

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/10/15 06:03 UTC »

I just use an Arkie and took my grinder notched the eye out so I could put the right hook in. I also use a shaky head football mold on my heaver  chatterbaits. The hook eye is already in the right direction on that mold. With that mold I make 1/2 oz with a 6/0 hook and put a 3 or 4 inch swim bait on the back of it. The heavy weight lets you run it fast and keeps it from flipping or running on its side. It's a great bait in the fall when they are feeding up on shad.

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/10/15 07:04 UTC »
We do well with GP smokin shad on a chatter bait.
Justin is right on with this !! By far my new favorite bait and color. When I throw a chatter I want it to look like everything meaning it passes for a craw, shad and gill. The green pumpkin with a touch of clear does it for me. I've tried colored blades but like a spinner bait I have better confidence with Crome

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/15/15 13:07 UTC »

I use the swim jig (casting jig) for my chatter style baits because the 30 degree hook seems easier to heat and open for making them.

Offline LipRipper84

• Keeper
« Reply #14 on: 02/23/15 19:26 UTC »

Just a few colors I like to throw.

I love the poison tail mold because of the versatility.  I can make chatterbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits and swimbait heads all from one mold.
« Last Edit: 02/23/15 19:31 UTC by LipRipper84 »