• Kicker
Re: thawed
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/15 17:09 UTC »
I meant to say gfi circuit

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/18/15 17:11 UTC »
I believe that is a GFI. Never put anything that has a motor or a transformer on a GFI breaker. They are real bad at breaking out when you need them the most.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 02/18/15 17:15 UTC »

Hate to here that, Iv'e lost meat in my freezer before.

Offline Dfiene1

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 02/19/15 10:48 UTC »
You kinda don't have a choice anymore. Everything in the unfinished portion of a basement or garage is required to be GFCI protected. Breakers are more reliable than outlets but both need testing at least yearly. All it takes is to push the test button. If it trips, your fine. If not, it's time to replace.

Daryl

Online eyedo

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/19/15 18:37 UTC »
Dfiene1 right on  this is my room in the basement. that area was to be a kitchenette  that didn't happen so it looked like the place for 2 freezers. Yepper it was wired per [ code] lighting strike ' power surge ' combined with head in butt . Lucky it was recorded at elec. co. Ins. covered loss . But smelling and seeing venison blood creeping into your carpet. ugly' I pulled said GFI out and put in regular outlet . There's no water there now.

Offline Dfiene1

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/19/15 18:59 UTC »
I have had good results installing panel mounted surge suppression, they can be had for less than $100. Even though the power company is covering it, it would have been better not to happen. Something a lot of people don't realize is most power surges come from within the home.