Author Topic: First try at laminates  (Read 3739 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
First try at laminates
« on: 03/10/15 18:03 UTC »

I'm pretty happy with how these turned out. They look much better in person than in this pic.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
Re: First try at laminates
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/15 18:09 UTC »
Those are very nice 2XL.  Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/15 18:18 UTC »
They look great. Is that a plate you made ? The reason I ask is I noticed that your tail had none of the belly color in it.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/10/15 18:34 UTC »
I think that is just the white from underneath showing thru Lamar. That firecracker top coat is sweet. And as far as being your first go at a laminate, I say your learning curve is real short.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/15 18:56 UTC »
I have the lam plate for this mold but I did these by hand. Actually, I used one of my injectors vs using a spoon. While I poured the belly colors (Open mold obviously) I had the second color brewing in the microwave. Once the second color was ready to go I clamped the mold and shot the top color. It worked pretty slick I think. Using the belly color a little hotter than I normally would saved the hassle of the plastic cooling too fast on the injector tip.  It was pretty easy and I'll go this route the next time I want to do some laminates. I did the same thing with some 3" MOs Magic baits too today. I took the injector , did half the bodies then clamped the mold and shot the top color. That too worked well but the tails didn't fill all the way so I scrapped those tails. Better luck next time.

Thanks for the kudos. This is only my 4th attempt at making soft plastic baits and I'm really looking forward to getting good at it. It's been a total blast just like I thought it would be. 

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/10/15 19:06 UTC »
The white belly is actually an opaque pearl which you can almost see through. The purple cracker changes depending on the angle you look at it. From the side it looks dark but from the top it's more a translucent color. Thank You Tom for tuning me on on this color. I'm super happy with what I came up with thanks to you.

Thanks Tom. I have a long way to go yet but I'm getting there. I need to work on my color recipes. I have so many ideas my melons fixin to bust open. LOL

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/10/15 20:08 UTC »
I have the lam plate for this mold but I did these by hand. Actually, I used one of my injectors vs using a spoon. While I poured the belly colors (Open mold obviously) I had the second color brewing in the microwave. Once the second color was ready to go I clamped the mold and shot the top color. It worked pretty slick I think. Using the belly color a little hotter than I normally would saved the hassle of the plastic cooling too fast on the injector tip.  It was pretty easy and I'll go this route the next time I want to do some laminates. I did the same thing with some 3" MOs Magic baits too today. I took the injector , did half the bodies then clamped the mold and shot the top color. That too worked well but the tails didn't fill all the way so I scrapped those tails. Better luck next time.

Thanks for the kudos. This is only my 4th attempt at making soft plastic baits and I'm really looking forward to getting good at it. It's been a total blast just like I thought it would be.

I was thinking that's how you made it. Nice job

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/13/15 13:03 UTC »
Great pours