Author Topic: Finally...  (Read 1628 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Finally...
« on: 04/03/15 09:42 UTC »
The worst case scenario came along today with a major cold front having passed thru our area last night dropping the temps by at least 35 degrees from yesterday afternoon. I got up early and checked the weather report and it didn't look good and then I heard the wind howling. The van was packed last night so I figured what the heck its only 11 miles, go try it. Soooooo.......

First cast this morning was a nice 11" black crappie. And then the fun started. For an hour and 15 minutes it was either a catch or a fish on every cast. Absolutely nuts because the weather in any other situation would have the fish down deep and negative in 44 degree water. I don't know why, but they were absolutely on fire for that short window that I was fishing and I was shore fishing to boot. At 8:00 I went five consecutive casts without a hit and that started the shut down. When they turned off, it was like right now. I tried deeper and higher up in the water column. I popped the float off and tried  faster retrieve. Color and bait profile changes...nothing would seem to re-excite them. It all ended as fast as it started, but that's just the nature of the beast in this region at this time of year and while dealing with very cold water. The ice in the guides was a constant reminder that its still early in the season.

I did get dinner for this Good Friday though! I got one 9" sunfish which is a fluke given the water temperature. I had two different smallies hit and both managed to part company with my jigs in their chops. It was a short trip but a productive trip. Gotta love it when things come together when the elements say otherwise.  Sure glad I didn't just go back to bed this morning!

Here's a pic of the 10 I kept. They're in a 8 gallon garden bucket and the 1.5" Thump It sits on one for size comparison. Nice fish this morning.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: Finally...
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/15 13:47 UTC »
Right on !

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/15 20:22 UTC »
I was invited for bass fishing with a couple of friends today and was skeptical of the weather as well.  No official count, but guessing around 80 were boated on a bevy of baits.  The day was brought to an abrupt halt when the "captain" was turning around to help me with a big one I had on the line and fell in.  Needless to say priorities were immediately rearranged.   It looked like the +/- 50 degree water and 40 degree air made for an invigorating swim... (and an easy decision to call it a day).

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/04/15 10:11 UTC »
The fresh fish dinner last night was something else. So much so that I went back out to the lake this morning and tossed jigs for a couple hours. The fish were a bit more tentative today and were relating to much deeper water. The bait color took a change too. While the purple/chartreuse did well first off in near dark twilight, a clear body with some holo silver and fire opal glitter in it with a chartreuse tail did the most damage. The larger fish came on the clear bait. I kept 6 for a meal Monday. Of the 6, 2 were over 13", both male fish that were seriously deep hooked and wouldn't come around after the line was cut. Not as many today but the quality was better.

I left the lake a 9 and a couple boats were just getting launched so the lake will likely get hit hard today. Going to have wind again. I'll wait to see if it blows in the rigfht direction and if it does I'll rake the front yard  ;D.