Author Topic: Tails up?  (Read 6487 times)

Offline eyedo

• Kicker
Tails up?
« on: 06/24/15 19:30 UTC »
This may have been discussed here. But I haven't seen it. I was looking at utube videos on how to put the grub on a jig. I saw 4 videos ' 2 were tails up and 2 were tails down. Now im wonderering is this a personal preference or does it really matter. Thought I would ask you guys that are into grubs so I can get it right.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Tails up?
« Reply #1 on: 06/24/15 20:02 UTC »
I run mine to the side depending on the mold.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Edgecrusher

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 06/24/15 20:30 UTC »
I put mine on a spinnerbait tail down, in case a stinger hook gets used.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/24/15 20:33 UTC »
I don't think it matters if your talking a twister tail at least.  I run tails down just because I believe you have less chance of the tail getting hooked on the hook point, but if it starts getting torn up where the hook comes out of the body I turn it over and run tails up till that side gets tore up.  Gets a few more fish out of the bait.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #4 on: 06/25/15 05:25 UTC »
I don't think it matters if your talking a twister tail at least.  I run tails down just because I believe you have less chance of the tail getting hooked on the hook point, but if it starts getting torn up where the hook comes out of the body I turn it over and run tails up till that side gets tore up.  Gets a few more fish out of the bait.

Ditto
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline eyedo

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 06/25/15 17:50 UTC »
ok .thumbs up on tails down. thanks fisher folks. I like it when my baits get torn up.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/25/15 19:14 UTC »
  It's like  a penny on the ground. I only pick it up if it's tails up. Carma is a bad thing to mess with.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/27/15 09:30 UTC »
The position of the grub tail does make some difference in the way the bait runs... the bigger the tail (like a Mogambo) the more difference.  As the tail stretches out in the water, in essence it forms a small wedge, which will cause the bait to track in the direction opposite the curl. Every curl tail possess this effect (again, the bigger, the more effect) and it can be seen by rigging a tail sideways on an undersized (for the given tail) lead head.

I mention this for two reasons: 1) Many of my walleye friends carry lead heads in 1/16oz divisions, but I skip those unnecessary sizes and adjust the speed at which my jigs fall by putting the tail up or down; 2) I usually rig a big grub, tail down on my buzz baits (without a skirt) because it allows the bait to stay on the surface with an even slower presentation.
« Last Edit: 06/27/15 12:33 UTC by efishnc »

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #8 on: 06/27/15 11:20 UTC »
The position of the grub tail does make some difference in the way the bait runs... the bigger the tail (like a Mogambo) the more difference.  As the tail stretches out in the water, in essence it forms a small wedge, which will cause the bait to track in the direction opposite the curl. Every curl tail possess this effect (again, the bigger, the more effect) and it can be seen by rigging a tail sideways on an undersized (for the given tail) lead head.

I mention this for two reasons: 1) Many of my walleye friends carry lead heads in 1/16oz divisions, but I skip those unnecessary sizes and adjust the speed at which my jigs fall by putting the tail up or down; 2) I usually rig a big grub tail down on my buzz baits (without a skirt) because it allows the bait to stay on the surface with an even slower presentation.

that all makes pretty good sense to me... well thought out...I would expect nothing less from you Mr. David. ;)
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/27/15 12:30 UTC »

that all makes pretty good sense to me... well thought out...I would expect nothing less from you Mr. David. ;)

Thanks, brother... I've had just enough engineering classes to make me really dangerous.  ::)

Offline Finaddict

• Minnow
« Reply #10 on: 07/15/15 14:08 UTC »
This reminds me of the "Old Days" when the discussion was about jig n pigs. Do you rig your Uncle Josh pork frog fat side up or fat side down? I always rigged mine fat side up because this would allow the skin side to be on the bottom creating a larger flat surface to catch more water as it sank. This would add a little more action to the trailer.

As for grubs, I always rig mine with the tail up. I do the same with U-Tail plastic worms. My reasoning is that when the bait is sitting on the bottom the tail will be much more visible to the fish than if the tail is pointing down and hidden in the weeds, debris, and muck. Of course this isn't an issue if you're swimming the bait but I've always felt tail up was a better looking presentation.
Hooked for life.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 07/16/15 22:13 UTC »
I've said for years, "confidence is half of catching fish", and we all have our own confidence baits/techniques.  Personally, I had the opposite view with worms as I would generally run mine with tails down to stir the bottom (leaving mud or bubble trails) as the plastic was travelling down low.