Author Topic: Destin, Florida Area  (Read 3366 times)

Online Lines

• Lunker
Destin, Florida Area
« on: 02/28/16 08:55 UTC »
Hello All,
We are planning to visit our son, (active Marine @ Eglin AFB) and planned to do some fishing in the area while we were there. Does anyone have any suggestions on artificial patterns and colors that would be productive around the end of July? We're thinking about trying fresh and saltwater fishing as he lives very near both. I've never been to Florida, and I'd like to make a supply of plastics to take with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 02/28/16 10:06 UTC by Lines »

Online Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Destin, Florida Area
« Reply #1 on: 02/28/16 12:42 UTC »
  That time of year down there is going to be hotter then a firecracker. Take a cooler so your baits don't melt. My guess would be you'll be punching mats. Bass are not going to sit out in the sun and the heavy mats are their best cover. I know a lot of guys night fish that time of year because of it.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/28/16 13:46 UTC »
Ever done any saltwater fishing there Lamar? What colors will be good for bass in through the thick stuff?

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/28/16 15:10 UTC »
Ever done any saltwater fishing there Lamar? What colors will be good for bass in through the thick stuff?

I have done very little saltwater fishing in my life. I've always said when fishing weeds is to match the color of the weeds as close as you can. Unless it's muddy then go black. But I bet down there it's not muddy or even stained.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/28/16 21:05 UTC »
You won't be too far from Gulf Shore, which is right below Pensicola, and right on the Gulf. There are miles of shore Tomás fish and there are also a few piers you can fish. The piers charge like $5.00 a person per day. The beach is free. You can use shrimp or just dig and use the plentiful ghost crabs. The crabs are about the size of a nickle and burrow in the sand above the surf line. Pompano are compón catches.

Be sure to buy some fresh shrimp from local shops. Theyll come whole. Toss them in a zip lock bag with a packet of fish boil and microwave for three minutes and pile in for some great eats.

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/28/16 21:45 UTC »
I have fished a lot of saltwater just east of there. St. Joe bay is a great area for saltwater and is somewhat protected if you want to launch your boat and trailer in salt(another completely different discussion). You can even rent pontoons from St. Joe Marina but you should reserve now as your chances of showing up and renting are slim to none. St. Joe bay is a fantastic opportunity for the whole family for snorkeling in marine wildlife rich environment and I would take advantage of that opportunity for a day trip. The bay is crystal clear in places and a great place for snorkeling in shallow water. 1/4 ounce jig head with some white or New Penny Power Bait Shrimp around the grass across the bay from Port St. Joe around the state park is great. Will bring constant action and some nice keeper Trout. Work east from the state park along the shore and all the way to the east end. Lots of territory. Also great places to snorkel. If you work hard, may get into some nice redfish too. Never tried fresh around there as we go there for salt on vacation. Pulling or driving from Destin is very doable. 1.5 hours.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/16 06:36 UTC »
Sounds like it will be a good time  no matter what kind of fishing we do. Like I said I've never been to Florida, so it'll be a whole new world for me. Lived in the Midwest all my life and never ventured very far out until my son joined the Marines. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll do some research to see where we want to go in the short time we have to stay there. Mostly want to see the grand kids again. They all live close to Rocky Bayou, so water is not far away. I don't think water is very far any where you go in Florida.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/16 09:30 UTC »
Fresh water down there is pretty tannic brown colored but pretty clear overall. Colors like black, blue, junebug are great options.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/03/16 18:49 UTC »
 I have been researching red fish and speckled trout. That sounds very intriguing and I think I'd like to catch some of those.

Offline kevin

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 03/04/16 08:52 UTC »
I go down to Panama City every summer. We go out onto the flats to catch reds,trout,catfish, or what ever bites.My dad isnt the lure type so he just buys the big bull minnows. I have caught sum reds on MY 5" jerkbait. do-it essential mold . But i resort back to the live bait cause of the big reds!!! Never caught any huge ones but several were 28 ,29" and they FIGHT   FIGHT !! 
and i might add they are very good eatin.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/05/16 09:24 UTC »
Are there any size restrictions on redfish and speckled trout?

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/05/16 11:48 UTC »
Yes there are size restrictions. I can't remember what they are though. Have a ruler handy and get a book of fish regulations when you get down there. Hope you have a nice trip.

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 03/05/16 11:57 UTC »
One other thing you can try on the beach while you are there. Take a small spinner with a seven foot spinning rod. Line it with 20 lb. braid, maybe 8 lb. floro as a leader. Take the same 1/4 oz. jig head and power bait shrimp and walk out and cast well outside the breakers. Retrieve with a hopping action and you should get a chance at some poor mans Tarpon. Lady Fish. They jump like crazy and bleed like nobodies business, if you get their gills, but are fun to mess with. Not good tablefare, though.

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 03/08/16 06:14 UTC »
Now I am getting excited about this trip. The warm fronts coming into Iowa have me ready to get started. Thank you all for the information!

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 03/08/16 13:22 UTC »
Trout and reds will smash a 5" wutz it or any of the carrot sticks 3-5" if you have those molds or a 3-5" paddle tail. I fish Florida at least once a year but down around Ft Myers.  I have done damage in and around Destin as well.  I only fish saltwater and only throw artificial mainly targeting reds, trout and flounder.  Here are my top 5 go to colors for trout/reds:

Purple/Chart

Pumpkinseed/Chart

Red/White & Black/Chart

Chicken on a Chain:

Hope this helps if you are gonna shoot some up.  But honestly Florida is a big live bait area.  Me and my buddies always get funny looks when we have topwater and plastics on our rods with baitcaster reels.  Guys down that way like helicopter (spinning) reels and live bait. Cant go wrong either way, cause you will have fun regardless. Especially when you hook up with your first redfish.
Find a spot on the South Shoreline