Author Topic: Swim jigs  (Read 3421 times)

Offline hawgthumper

• Kicker
Swim jigs
« on: 02/29/16 21:49 UTC »
 I've been thinking a lot about swim jigs lately  but don't know much about the technique. Is it mostly a technique for using in vegetation and grass or can it be used in  other types of cover?  Wondering if it's a pretty good spring time technique around rocks and laydowns?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: Swim jigs
« Reply #1 on: 02/29/16 22:00 UTC »
You can swim a jig anywhere. Lay downs, rock, timber, grass, boat docks and anything else that holds fish are all places to swim a jig.

Offline hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/29/16 22:30 UTC »
What are the differences between a swim jig and say an Arky jig?  I'm sure you can swim either one but is there not a difference between the two?

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/16 06:17 UTC »
What are the differences between a swim jig and say an Arky jig?  I'm sure you can swim either one but is there not a difference between the two?

As a rule the swim jig has a pointed head and a arky is rounded. They use a win jig a lot in Wisconsin.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/16 07:08 UTC »
  As a rule the swim jig has a pointed head and a arky is rounded. They use a win jig a lot in Wisconsin.
So there's no difference in the hook? Just the head?

Online Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/16 07:29 UTC »
Think of it this way,  you can swim any jig you want.  Many swim round head jigs, even some football jigs.  The modern day swim jig came about to swim through grass, weeds etc and thus the pointed heads.  Concept is that the pointed heads will move through trash like pads, snot grass, etc much easier.

Hook,  your preference.  Some prefer EWG, some round bend.  I use EWG for the swim baits I put behind a Poison Tail when swimming in the shallows (Spring and early Summer).  I use big round bend hooks on 3/4 and 1 ounce Poisons to pull the 5 and 6 inch swim baits in the deep holes I fish.

I recommend you not over think it and look at it as a technique and apply the jig head style to fit you style and the terrain you are fishing.

Offline hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/16 07:43 UTC »
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/16 08:29 UTC »
Basically a swim jig is a spinner bait...without the blade. You fish it in a very similar manner.

The Do-it Brush jig is super in trees and lay downs especially if you use a stiff weed guard. And don't worry...you will still hook up with even a 14" bass.

Andy
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 03/01/16 23:00 UTC »
Thanks Andrew. So now I need a new mold huh? :D

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/02/16 07:06 UTC »
A lot of guys use the poison tail. I, personally speaking, prefer the grass head jig. I just prefer that head style more but of course that's personal preference. The Trokar swim jig mold is nice as well but it utilizes a horizontal line tie which isn't a bad thing I simply prefer a vertical line tie on a swim jig. Seems to go through the grass a little easier.

Offline hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 03/02/16 11:56 UTC »
A lot of guys use the poison tail. I, personally speaking, prefer the grass head jig. I just prefer that head style more but of course that's personal preference. The Trokar swim jig mold is nice as well but it utilizes a horizontal line tie which isn't a bad thing I simply prefer a vertical line tie on a swim jig. Seems to go through the grass a little easier.
Makes sense