Author Topic: Lay Lake, AL 3/7/16  (Read 3233 times)

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Lay Lake, AL 3/7/16
« on: 03/09/16 09:00 UTC »
Got out on the water for the first time in about 2 months on Sunday.  Had a lot of fun finally getting back out there.  There was a TON of fog for the first couple of hours but that didn't stop the fish from biting.  I actually patterned the fish pretty quickly while waiting for the fog to lift enough to run up and down the river.  Most of the bass caught were caught on a homemade chatterbait and ES swim shad with the tail dipped in chartreuse anywhere you could find grass in pockets off the main channel.  Others were caught on red and orange crankbaits on main channel points that had hard rock bottom.  Caught a couple non keepers on a shakey head once the sun really got up and the bite got tough.  My parents and my wife made their way down to the lake house around noon so my fishing time was pretty much over but it was a lot of fun while it lasted! 

Bonus picture of taking the pups out for a boat ride  ;D

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Lunker
Re: Lay Lake, AL 3/7/16
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/16 10:13 UTC »
Fantastic report.  Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/16 11:20 UTC »
Beautiful pictures, that one lure looks like a old Rebel Humpback?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/09/16 11:38 UTC »
Sweet. I made it out today but no fog, no boat, no dogs. Got fish thought.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/16 14:53 UTC »
Beautiful pictures, that one lure looks like a old Rebel Humpback?
Strike King series 5 although I do have several old rebels stashed away in a tackle box that belonged to my grandfather along with some other old lures.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/09/16 17:00 UTC »
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/09/16 17:01 UTC »
  The first picture with the front of your boat and the fog is what I live for. It is so good for my soul.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/09/16 21:23 UTC »
  The first picture with the front of your boat and the fog is what I live for. It is so good for my soul.
Same here, Lamar.  After week after monotonous week spent at work all night in the hospital a few hours alone on the water was exactly what I needed.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/10/16 05:21 UTC »
  I bet it felt good. My buddy sent me a picture of two bass he caught Tuesday that looked to be 5 pounds each. Before I even texted him back I called the boat storage place and told them I need my boat out.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/10/16 08:19 UTC »

The only fog I don't like is that which I have to drive in. Fog on the water while fishing is a pure balm.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/11/16 00:22 UTC »
The fog wasn't too bad until I got around 5 miles away from the lake.  From that point on it was extremely thick but it seemed to burn off fairly quickly.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/11/16 05:52 UTC »
   That's what your GPS is for. When fishing the Ohio River many times you can run it at 6 am but by 6:30 or 7 the whole river is fogged shut. When running the main river early you can see the fog rolling out of the smaller rivers and when you run through it and look back you can see a hole that you punched. It's just a really awesome sight to see. Then the fog will come all the way down to the water and you can't see under it anymore and your better off to idle.
« Last Edit: 03/11/16 06:01 UTC by Lamar »

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/11/16 07:53 UTC »
Only thing about GPS is it doesn't show you where that big floating log is that all the rain has washed into the lake ;). We've had so much rain the last few weeks that I wouldn't feel good about running by gps because of all the crap that's been washed into the lake. Saw an entire telephone pole, several large logs and the scariest of all to me was a railroad cross tie floating vertically in the water. The only time you could see it was when it would bob up and down with bigger waves and the top end would poke up through the waves, otherwise, you'd never know it was there until you hit it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 03/11/16 08:09 UTC »
I did a telephone pole that was barely submerged on the Mississippi River one spring day. Wasn't a good morning.