Author Topic: Respirator  (Read 2602 times)

Offline TLewis21

• Minnow
Respirator
« on: 03/24/16 15:54 UTC »
Hello all!

I'm new to making my own lures and was wondering if there is a certain type of filter I need for a respirator to shoot soft plastic? I'm just trying to avoid health complications down the line.  Any recommendations would help.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Bob

• Kicker
Re: Respirator
« Reply #1 on: 03/24/16 18:19 UTC »
An organic vapour respirator. The specific cartridges need to be replaced every 8-12 hrs after opening them. Store the cartridges in a freezer bag when not in use to extend the life of them.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/24/16 19:32 UTC »
I need to get one myself. One question I have is how do you know when to change the cartridge? Obviously not just by time.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 03/24/16 20:24 UTC »
I buy my respirator and cartridges locally. I prefer the North brand as that's what I am used to from work and what I have been fit tested in.
You want the OV (organic vapor) cartridge for fumes not a HEPA cartridge that is only for dust.
I have several thousand hours wearing respirators In the Industrial cleaning industry.
They tell us change the ov cartridge every 12 hours.
The reason being is the harmful vapors you cannot smell. It could be used up and you not smell anything but you are breathing in fumes you can't smell.
The hepa cartridges are good until they start to get plugged. But they are only good for dust and not what you would want for soft plastics.
As was mentioned once you open the package they start to work and you cannot shut them off and even the good non harmful smells use up the cartridges.
Also it might be a good idea to have a fit test done. That will ensure the brand and size you choose fits your face properly.
If your not wearing the correct size or not wearing it properly you could be exposing your self to harmful substances and not even realize it.
I get my fit test from work every year.
Also keep your respirator clean and in a sealed ziploc type bag.

Online Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #4 on: 07/24/16 18:50 UTC »
Good information Sir, thank you.