Author Topic: This was un-expected.....  (Read 907 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
This was un-expected.....
« on: 05/04/16 12:45 UTC »
O good friend and his wife finally have all the kids out of the house so they decided to moved. He works out of the house for one of Rochester's health care facilities and can keep his job thru the move and his wife has taken a new job. They're moving to St. Paul, Minnesota. His wife is away for a couple days and he evidently decided to clean out the garage. He made a nice deposit here in my driveway this morning while we were out checking the local greenhouses.

In 1957 his father-in-law bought a 5 1/2 horsepower Johnson outboard new. When the old boy died, my buddy Bruce got the motor and used it at their cabin for years. 4 years ago they sold the cabin and this outboard has been sitting in his basement since. It was last used about three years ago and ran perfect. It turns over with great compression. I'm sure that some new gas and a couple minutes of running time will have this unit ready for a boat.

The paint on this motor is hardly scratched. The only signs of wear are the turn bolds that clamp the motor to the transom. The tank looks a little worn but what the heck, free is free. He left a note saying to enjoy it. When we got home and I tripped over this motor I read the note and called him to be sure the writing was how it read and all he said was enjoy. This was a nice little un-expected treasure.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
Re: This was un-expected.....
« Reply #1 on: 05/04/16 13:26 UTC »
Very Cool!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/04/16 15:40 UTC »
That should help make your day!

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/04/16 18:16 UTC »
Nice score Tom. I have one very similar that doesn't run, but they just look so cool I couldn't get rid of it. Plus it has my name on it lol.