Author Topic: Vanilla  (Read 4385 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Vanilla
« on: 05/10/16 16:36 UTC »
I love to cook and I love using a clean vanilla extract, which is hard to find anymore. So I make my own.

I start with some good alcohol....not vodka. Straight, pure alcohol. Nothing less than 151 proof, the 190 even better. Six vanilla beans go into the bottle, which is then re-capped tightly and placed in a brown paper booze bag and set away in a dark closet for no less than 6 months.

The bottle on the left hasn't been opened yet but will be getting the beans seen here. The bottle on the right is a year in the making and is ready for use. If you want to make something for the little lady/baker in the house, make them a jug of vanilla. This is the best vanilla I have ever laid my hands on and puts to shame all those black Mexican vanillas.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/16 16:50 UTC »
And here's a picture of my home-made Ameretto.....

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/16 02:49 UTC »
They both look mighty tasty!!!!
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/10/16 11:02 UTC »
I am going to start a batch of Vanilla brewing as soon as the UPS guy drops off some beans I ordered. He is supposed to be here today some time. Getting ready for Xmas 2017 already. That's a record for me since I'm definitely a last minute shopper. Hahahaha

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/15/17 13:40 UTC »
Almost 12 months to the day and I can't believe how good this vanilla extract turned out. This stuff is outstanding !  I'll be scraping together what I need to get started on next years batch.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/15/17 18:39 UTC »
2XL is this baking vanilla or vanilla for getting baked after a bad day at work?
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/15/17 19:03 UTC »
I made it to give as gifts to the bakers in the family but yeah, it would cut the edge a little after a tough day too . LOL

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/15/17 19:22 UTC »
My wife loves to cook with vanilla and I have to get it every so often since there is a handful of mexican markets in the part of town I work in. Might be fun to whip up some homemade. You say you buy beans online and let it brew?

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/15/17 19:38 UTC »
My wife says a store down the street sells the beans. She has already thought about making her own

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 12/15/17 19:59 UTC »
Just slip 5 or 6 beans in a jug of Everclear and stash it away for 9 months to a year....the best vanilla she will ever get her mitts wrapped around.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/15/17 20:08 UTC »
Yes, I ordered some organic beans from Amazon and bought a bottle of Everclear. Just as Tom said, I popped the beans into the bottle, wrapped in a paper bag and stowed it away in my file cabinet. It's been in there almost a year to the day and it is smells and tastes great. My GF is a baking machine and so is her daughter so it will see plenty of use.  More and more I like knowing what's in the stuff our family eats. With so many unkowns with what's really in commercial vanilla.  It's great knowing exactly in this stuff.  The fact that it smells and tastes better than any vanilla I've ever had doesn't hurt either. LOL

" the best vanilla she will ever get her mitts wrapped around "  Spot on !

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/15/17 21:33 UTC »
LoL she is sitting here reading up on it as I type this. We will see what happens. I haven’t thought about Everclear since my first semester of college

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/15/17 21:53 UTC »
Go for it. It's worth the wait. Everclear still burns going down but at least it has a vanilla aftertaste now. LOL

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 12/15/17 22:03 UTC »
Sounds good honestly but I remember in high school some guys took a bottle of everclear and put it in the empty gas tank of a car and ran the car about 1/2 of a mile. Kind of spoils it for me

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 12/15/17 23:39 UTC »
Sounds good honestly but I remember in high school some guys took a bottle of everclear and put it in the empty gas tank of a car and ran the car about 1/2 of a mile. Kind of spoils it for me