Author Topic: Slow death spinnerbait  (Read 5103 times)

Offline ryno

• Minnow
Slow death spinnerbait
« on: 06/23/16 15:34 UTC »
This is my first attempt at a 1oz spinner bait with a slow death hook.  Looking for some input from you expert spinnerbaits guys.  This bait is pretty plain for now since in prototype mode.

I am targeting walleyes in flooded trees.  Typically I troll a traditional 1 ouncer with #6 or #7 willow off the swivel and #4 below it with various skirts.  The walleye this year are more interested in Lindy rigs or spinner harnesses with crawlers.  The obvious problem is snagn up alot with that presentation.  So I'm in search of a downsized bait from my fav of the traditional 1oz spinnerbait.  The slow death is somewhat less snag proned than a live bait hook. 

This prototype I have pictured is 1oz with #4willow blade.  I went with a shorter lower arm and near standard upper (to get a lil separation between blade and bait). I haven't put it in the water yet to see how it trolls.  I'm hoping the single #4 is enough to keep it true.  I just ordered some royal blades to hopefully allow for a slower troll speed.  The goal here is a slower trolling bait with smaller presentation size to offer nightcrawlers to these timber eye's.  Any advice/input very much welcomed.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Slow death spinnerbait
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/16 16:49 UTC »
This is very interesting to me. I fish some situations like your talking about for walleyes too. I've never even thought of using a spinnerbait. I don't know much about spinnerbait so I'm not going to be any help, but I would like to know more about how you fish this.
« Last Edit: 06/23/16 18:54 UTC by Mike J »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/23/16 18:05 UTC »
You will have to see how it runs in the water. I think the overhead arm will have to be shorter with the lower hook arm being longer, but like I said You'll have to see how it works.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/23/16 19:52 UTC »
Looks interesting be cool to see how it works out for you.  Only thing IMO would be a couple of extra wraps of wire for the hook, I make a lot of in-line spinners and when I first started I had some wires slip because of only one wrap. 

Offline ryno

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 06/23/16 20:56 UTC »
This is very interesting to me. I fish some situations like your talking about for walleyes too. I've never even thought of using a spinnerbait. I don't know much about spinnerbait so I'm not going to be any help, but I would like to know more about how you fish this.
Usually we troll large spinnerbaits on lead core thru submerged trees...works well.  This year we are dealing with shorter trees and fish relating closer to the bottom as well as liking night crawlers on a smaller profile bait.  So I'm in search for an answer to this while maintaining as snagfree offering as I can.

Offline ryno

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 06/23/16 21:03 UTC »
Looks interesting be cool to see how it works out for you.  Only thing IMO would be a couple of extra wraps of wire for the hook, I make a lot of in-line spinners and when I first started I had some wires slip because of only one wrap.
My thought when I snag(it's inevitable) the slow death will bend to free it up.  The hook and possibly the hook eye I opened and attached to the swivel should be the weak link of the lure.  I will be using 20#test line attached to it.  I will pour a few more with closer to same length arms to see how that works as well.  Won't know much until it gets field tested I suppose.  Was hoping someone has played around with heavy spinnerbaits and single blade to lend me some knowledge.
Thanks for the input guys

Offline ryno

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 06/24/16 00:34 UTC »
Here is a side X side of my prototype and traditional spinnerbait I troll.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/24/16 07:03 UTC »
Cool thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to give this a try. How deep of water are you normally fishing?

Offline ryno

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 06/24/16 07:51 UTC »
They work at most depths for the most part.  Typically on the lake we use em on is about 10-20 ft tall trees in 40-50 fow. Another area has 10-15 tall trees in 30fow.  You want to troll them at depth where you are ticking the tops pretty good...the rod will load up when it's hanging up and I would say 95% of the time if not more it will come free.  I do have some larger 2 and 2 1/2 ouncers for when needing to get it down over 30 feet.  The 1 ounce is my preferred size on 27lb lead core with 20lb floro leader.  It really is amazing what they will get thru!  This year they seem to be staying in shallower waters and near the bottom but still in trees or broke off trees from the ice.  They are liking a harness or lindy rig with a crawler.   Seems in this dirtier and shallower water they arent striking the spinnerbaits...so I'm trying to come up with something I can troll and still get thru the trees decently and offer em a more subtle bait.  Even throwing jigs is a painful task with trees.  Vertical jign is slow and equally frustrating.  Seems the key is to be on the move...ie trolling.  If you have ever trolled spinner harnesses/lindy rigs or cranks thru a forrest of trees you know how aggravating and expensive that can be. However,that is what is producing regularly for the very patient fisherman.
« Last Edit: 06/24/16 08:07 UTC by ryno »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/24/16 10:03 UTC »
Thanks for the info. I fish a lake that is a flooded valley with all the trees left standing. Most presentations are very hard here or just plain slow and inefficient. Something like this may be what I need to fish this area.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/24/16 15:18 UTC »
Try some old Erie Dearie walleye spinners - Not sure if any of the guys here have a mold model that big a weight though