Author Topic: Poison tail jig ?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline greybeard

• Minnow
Poison tail jig ?
« on: 08/19/16 00:23 UTC »
Guys do you know if a 4/0 hook will work with the 3/8 poison jig or can you only use the 3/0 like the mold recommends? Any help is much appreciated thanks.

Online Walking Dead

• Kicker
Re: Poison tail jig ?
« Reply #1 on: 08/19/16 05:58 UTC »
4/0 will work and you are not limited to that one style of hook. EC has one, reg hooks will hook if you do not want the EWG.

Offline greybeard

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 08/19/16 09:52 UTC »
Thanks!

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 12/10/16 15:48 UTC »
For thhe most part you can go up or down a size from the recommended sizes.  I've used 5/0 where it recommends 3/0
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy

Offline bldnjiginIA

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/18 04:55 UTC »
I would rather use a regular hook instead of the EWG, anyone able to tell me what model # of the hook I need for the poison tail?

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/02/18 13:02 UTC »
I would rather use a regular hook instead of the EWG, anyone able to tell me what model # of the hook I need for the poison tail?

It depends on which size you are making. For 1/4oz and up you can use the Mustad 32886 or Eagle Claw 3886, both are good but I prefer the EC. For the 1/8oz you can buy the Owner Twistlock Light in a 1/0, it isn't an EWG but it does have a slightly wider gap than normal round bend hooks. Unfortunately I don't know of any other regular round bend hooks that will fit the 1/8oz. For what it is worth, I too like the wide gap round bend hooks in the 3/8oz and heavier Poison Tail but on the 1/8oz and the 1/4oz the EWG just works too well, I tie hair on the 1/8oz poison tail and I use it as well as the 1/4oz for small finesse jigs and I don't think I ever lost a fish that I hooked on it.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/05/18 19:27 UTC »
Another option is to straighten the shank of the EWG after casting the lead (which is something I typically do); this essentially turns the hook into a nice long O'Shaughnessy style... I have far more confidence in the PT's hook-up ratio when I do this.