Author Topic: Spinner Jig Mold  (Read 1510 times)

Offline EarlWay

• Minnow
Spinner Jig Mold
« on: 09/25/16 23:34 UTC »
 I'm fairly new to making my own Jigs.   I just got a new spinner jig mold.  It is a SJ-4B-A.  I've searched for videos on how to make jigs with this mold but have been able to find any.  Does anyone have any clues or some assistance.   My problem is positioning the hooks and the wire .   Also I want to make sure I've got the right size hooks.

Offline Mooki

• Minnow
Re: Spinner Jig Mold
« Reply #1 on: 09/26/16 04:50 UTC »
Not sure what kind of problems you're having. It's been a while since I used it but can't recall having any trouble - I used SS welding wire (416 SLi), a loop on the end threaded through the hook eye. Going up/down one hook size usually poses no problem.

Online smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/26/16 05:23 UTC »
The wire and hook can be moved up or down slightly in the mold, I always position the wire and hook so they are in the widest part of the cavity. Once you have a spot picked out you can either remember it or take a sharpie and mark the spot on the wire where it enters the mold. Once you have the wire marked you can take all your other wires forms of the same size and line them up with the wire you marked and mark all of those as well, just leave one unused for future reference. If you do it like that then all you have to do is line the mark up and your wire will be positioned the same every time. I hope this helps.

Offline Scotth

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 11/01/16 05:14 UTC »
I only use one cavity at a time. And use a second mold as a support for the end of the wire while I am positing the hook and wire in the mold. I move the hook eye with the wire as far away from the opening as I can, I want the cavity to fill as fast and free as posable. When I am ready I turn the mold on its side and pore lead in a puddle on the side of the mold. I let that lead set there to the count of 10. That warms the mold,hook and wire to help the lead fill the cavity. I also use pure lead, wheel weights or scrap may have impurities that will give you problems with the cavity filling out.