Author Topic: Chemical intervention....again  (Read 5163 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Chemical intervention....again
« on: 10/23/16 23:20 UTC »
A couple years ago I got nailed with diverticulitis and was put on some ugly meds. A follow-up visit to my regular doc was done and he said I might, maybe someday down the road, see the problem pop up again. Well, tonight was the night. Just got home from the hospital and I again get to take fifty to 60 pills over the next ten days. Damn this is an ugly affliction. I feel like I've been gut shot. The doc tonight said I dodged the bullet again and should respond well to the meds. They got me started on the meds right there at the hospital. These 2 antibiotics are the most bitter of any drug I have had to take. The real fun will set in a couple days down the road when the bacteria of the gut are all killed off. Lots of yogurt gets eaten while on these little football sized pills.

This getting old sucks.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Chemical intervention....again
« Reply #1 on: 10/24/16 00:25 UTC »
This getting old sucks.

Don't get me started.  Get well soon.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/24/16 00:38 UTC »
Ya...right. Now I'm up with an upset stomach from the meds. Ain't puking yet but I sure feel like I could. Some of these meds just about kill ya to cure ya. I looked at the bottles of pills that followed me home until I can fill the prescriptions tomorrow [today] and found one for oxycodone for pain. I flushed those suckers already. I don't hurt that bad.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/24/16 05:05 UTC »
The Diverticulitis fairy visited me 3 years ago and you are spot on with your description of the pain and meds Tom. The one antibiotic they put me on is by far the worst medication I've ever been on. I never finished the full course of pills they set me up with because they made me sick to my stomach to the point I didn't eat much of anything for a week. Best of luck getting past this bout Tom.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/24/16 07:23 UTC »
What did they put you guys on?

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/24/16 08:01 UTC »
Follow the doctors orders and get well quick. Looking forward to seeing you at the get together this winter!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/24/16 08:24 UTC »
What did they put you guys on?

One is an anti-bacterial....it kills the bacteria in the gut. The other is a high powered antibiotic. I can't spell , let alone pronounce the names, and the bottles are at the pharmacy being re-filled. I do know that the antibiotic is about the second strongest antibiotic a guy can take in pill form. Its different from penicillins...any of the "cillen" type of drugs. Not fun to be on.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 10/24/16 10:18 UTC »
Get well so we can see you and yours at the get together.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/24/16 10:30 UTC »
One is an anti-bacterial....it kills the bacteria in the gut. The other is a high powered antibiotic. I can't spell , let alone pronounce the names, and the bottles are at the pharmacy being re-filled. I do know that the antibiotic is about the second strongest antibiotic a guy can take in pill form. Its different from penicillins...any of the "cillen" type of drugs. Not fun to be on.

Flagyl is an antibiotic commonly prescribed for intestinal infections. No alcohol with this med. Pharmacist says it will make you sick, sick, sick with alcohol.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 10/24/16 15:08 UTC »
The flagyl is one of the two.

Pain has begun to subside now a little. Still darned sore though.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 10/24/16 19:22 UTC »
Hope you get past this quick buddy!!!!!!!  Hope you feel better quick!!

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 10/24/16 19:33 UTC »
I hope you get well soon..really soon...the crappie bite is on!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 10/24/16 19:58 UTC »
Apdriver,

They had me on two meds. I don't remember the one but the other was MetroNIDAZOLE 500mg. That's the stuff that upset my stomach to the point I quit taking it 4 days short of how long I was supposed to take it. I just couldn't cut the bad taste and upset stomach anymore.

Hope you feel better soon Tom. Diverticulitis SUCKS !!!

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 10/24/16 21:33 UTC »
Apdriver,

They had me on two meds. I don't remember the one but the other was MetroNIDAZOLE 500mg. That's the stuff that upset my stomach to the point I quit taking it 4 days short of how long I was supposed to take it. I just couldn't cut the bad taste and upset stomach anymore.

Hope you feel better soon Tom. Diverticulitis SUCKS !!!

I feel for you guys, for sure. Just went through a batch of the same stuff. When it hit, it was hard just to get around. An older brother has it too so I wonder if heredity has anything to do with it? It was my first episode and hope it stays away! That Metro is the generic Flagyl, I believe. Surprisingly, I had no trouble with it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 10/24/16 21:48 UTC »
This is my second go-around with this crap and according to doc last night once you've had it you can become prone to it again. This time around is worse than the first time and then I was dinking with mild pain for three or four days before it got a root in me. This time it can on in less than 4 hours and its a beast for pain. Feels like I've been stabbed with a sword at times. No fever, no puking or nausea. Doc said I'd just be hurting and miserable a few days.

I tolerate the meds but I don't like them. I'm not big on any medicine really. The atenolol for the heart I need. The Symbicort for the lungs I need. If I could get by without those two I'd gladly omit them from my daily life. However....
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they