Author Topic: Blade bait powder coating.  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Blade bait powder coating.
« on: 10/10/16 23:39 UTC »

I did some blade bait powder coating in glow....not really to happy with how they turned out. How do most you guys paint your blade baits? With the bottom picture I used a q-tip and dipped it in some grape airbrush paint.....just looking for some tips. Haven't done much with blades before.

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
Re: Blade bait powder coating.
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/16 08:27 UTC »
Brass blades just get dipped in powder paint.  I put decals on some of those.

Nickel blades get masked with powder paint tape then dipped.  This way I get to paint the lead and keep the nickel clean.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/16 13:45 UTC »
Glow is hard to do on the blades since it gets thick and can alter the action.  Looks like you did a great job though.

To powder paint the bodies on nickel or buffed/polished brass blanks, I cut a two sided "shield" out of thin sheet metal that has the exact contour of the lead body.  You can heat and dip the lead body into powder paint and protect the blade from paint.  After 10 or 15 you just chip the excess off the shield and keep going.  I've been using the same shield for 10 years.  (and I make a lot of blades!).

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/16 16:05 UTC »
Nice blades if anyone hasn't tried them yet there missing out on some real fun.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/16 16:10 UTC »
Is there a heat resistant tape that you can use to cover the blade while you dip the body in powder paint? The idea of a two sided metal cover sounds like something I'll have to try.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 10/11/16 17:14 UTC »
I've tried the actual aluminum duct tape and the glue becomes a mess.  The shield is super easy.

Marc

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 10/14/16 18:23 UTC »
Is there a heat resistant tape that you can use to cover the blade while you dip the body in powder paint? The idea of a two sided metal cover sounds like something I'll have to try.

Yep.

This is what I use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RAFSM2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1