Author Topic: November Success  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
November Success
« on: 11/29/16 11:12 UTC »
November has been very mild and I was able to sneak out to a few inland lakes for a few hours.  As you probably guessed, blade baits have been good.  But along with blades, 3.5" ES Paddle tails, and slow rolling 3/8th ounce Herring heads tipped with a 4" Wutz-It were also very good.  The lakes around the Milwaukee area are still open and surface temps are 41.  We will see if it will hold up so I can fish for bass in December again this year.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: November Success
« Reply #1 on: 11/29/16 11:42 UTC »
Niiiiiiiiiice! In a boat even. lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/29/16 11:45 UTC »
Nice. Gotta love fall fishing!
« Last Edit: 11/29/16 15:17 UTC by Mike J »

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/29/16 12:13 UTC »
Yes in a boat.  Some of those pictures are from Sunday (27th).  The lakes aren't even close to freezing.

Even up in Minocqua in northern WI, Lake Minocqua is wide open. 

Strange year!

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/29/16 12:51 UTC »
You been up here recently? Water is still open but I've not had much luck. Similar reports from the locals I've talked to, fall fishing is slow. You ever need a partner up here, let me know.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 11/29/16 13:32 UTC »
I didn't know you were up in Northern WI.  Where about? 

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/29/16 14:07 UTC »
Right on Marc !

The river bite has been super hot here up until a week ago. The bite went south just as my work season ended last Monday and I actually had/have the time to fish. Not too worried , the bite should pick up again big time Thursday as I'll be on jury duty for all of December.  Figures .... LOL
The river temp got down to 36 but has crept up to around 40 now.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/29/16 15:29 UTC »
Love those pike and the way they fight. However I usually get a lot of bite-offs using blade baits!

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/29/16 16:03 UTC »
I didn't know you were up in Northern WI.  Where about?

Moved to Rhinelander

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 11/29/16 16:53 UTC »
Musky Gary, Haywire twist a single strand (.013 or .014) piece of coffee colored leader wire direct to the middle hole of the blade.  Then add a #10 black swivel to the other end.  About 4" of leader is all you need to prevent bite offs.  Unless I know for sure there are no pike in the lake (or Lake Michigan), I always fish a blade with a light wire leader.   The bass don't seem to care at all.  That single strand coffee colored wire leader material is nearly invisible especially at the depths that you are normally fishing blades.

Botanophilia, That's awesome!  Hope you are enjoying gods country.  Keep your eyes open for no access float tube lakes!

Marc

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/29/16 18:09 UTC »
I've hit a few smaller lakes with the kayak so far. There is one carry in access lake near Boulder Junction that I like.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 11/30/16 11:07 UTC »
My kids and I had an incredible week in August getting into no access lakes in the Minocqua area with float tubes.  Some of them didn't even have names.  You just have to look on google-maps and find these little pot holes and then find way to walk in.  My nephew found one while mountain biking down some trail.  They aren't easy to get on, but well worth the effort.  They are all loaded with bass.  We would go for a couple hours in the middle of the afternoon and end up with 10-12 bass between the two of us.  But the size was incredible.  We stopped taking pictures of 18"ers.  There are so many of these little lakes that it makes my head spin.  We never saw another human on any of them.  I'm sure we may be the only ones to fish them all year.  Some had a cabin on them and maybe a kayak or paddle boat on shore, but these are getting NO fishing pressure at all.  My nephew and I scouted and found about 4-5 to try while we were there, but you could fish years and not get to all of them.  We kept the walk-in to less than a half-mile, but there are a bunch more if you are willing to hike further.  And if you can travel the fire roads, wow!!!  Endless opportunities.  I'll post some pictures on a separate thread.