Author Topic: Rods Rods and more rods  (Read 1945 times)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Rods Rods and more rods
« on: 01/03/17 00:11 UTC »

Line in the blank rods with tooth tamer strike indicator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: Rods Rods and more rods
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/17 04:42 UTC »
Cool ! I have a few of those rods. There used to be an old sporting goods store in town that sold the parts to make your own rods like that. Reels , foam handles and different length blanks all sold separately. I use a spring from a spent Bic lighter for a spring bobber. Just clip one end of the spring off and it screws right on the rod blank. I've caught a pile of gills and crappies on those rods. I still use mine if the water I'm fishing isn't too deep.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/17 05:03 UTC »
Cool I've got one too. Mines got a hard wood handle. I pretty much just use it for Mississippi Backwater hole hopping where the water is shallow enough you just lift the fish out.  Honestly I haven't had mine out in a few years. Might have to break it out this winter.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/17 05:55 UTC »
That's what it is shallow water hole hopper. I know the rod with the wood handle are still sold. But this one is made for half the cost of the other one.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/17 07:05 UTC »
I actually bought mine from a guy right on the ice one day around pdc.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/17 07:19 UTC »
I always liked a longer rod on the ice. I really disliked fishing inside a shelter even when it was cold and the longer rods were just fine for me and afforded a lot more forgiveness on hook sets.

I made a couple that were about 4 feet and had tips similar to Thorne Bros noodle rods....very sensitive. I made another pair that used Thorne Spring Bobbers that were right around 40 inches in length. I didn't do the line-thru the blank thing but did have Sedona 500's on all the rods. The longer rods had 2# fluorocarbon on them and one of the 40 inchers while the other had 2 pound Nanofil.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast