Author Topic: Senko problem  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Yakfsher

• Minnow
Senko problem
« on: 02/09/18 19:34 UTC »
Hey guys. New to making my own plastics!  I just bought a new senko mold and am having trouble with flat spots on all my senkos. Just 1 spot on every single senko. Doesn't feel like air bible underneath. I've tried everything I can think of.  Please help!

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Senko problem
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/18 19:48 UTC »
Try cooler plastic and hold pressure on the injector for a good 10 seconds after the mold is full.

Offline Yakfsher

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 02/09/18 20:27 UTC »
Mike. Just tried that. Doesn't seem to fix the problem.  The only time I got it to come out perfect is when I put so much pressure it blew the mold seal.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/09/18 21:19 UTC »
What is the temperature of the plastic when you inject?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/09/18 21:21 UTC »
Once I heat my new plastisol to a temp of 350 I let it cool to around 310 or 320.  Shoot the mold holding pressure (you don't have to increase pressure, just hold it),  After about 30 seconds or so I demold over a tub of cold water and drop the baits straight in there.  This speeds up the cooling process and will help you avoid the dents.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/09/18 21:48 UTC »
Once I heat my new plastisol to a temp of 350 I let it cool to around 310 or 320.  Shoot the mold holding pressure (you don't have to increase pressure, just hold it),  After about 30 seconds or so I demold over a tub of cold water and drop the baits straight in there.  This speeds up the cooling process and will help you avoid the dents.

I can see where I might have confused you (cuz I confused me),  I don't hold pressure for 30 seconds=10 or so should do it.  I demold after about 30 seconds, never actually timed it.  The plastic will still be hot as the dickens so I wear my gloves.  Hope that is a little clearer
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/18 10:33 UTC »
I solved this issue on my senko mold by opening up the vents a little more with a file.  I wouldn't recommend doing this until you're absolutely sure you can't fix the issue by adjusting temp, pressure, etc. 

Offline Yakfsher

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 02/10/18 17:35 UTC »
I have tried temps from 320-350. Hand held pressure for as much as 20 seconds. I'll try popping the mold right after I inject and see if that helps.

Offline Jkwbwca

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 02/10/18 21:33 UTC »
I shoot that mold at 300-305 to not get denting.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 02/10/18 22:12 UTC »
Glade you got the problem fixed
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN