Author Topic: Stick on eyes  (Read 3253 times)

Offline schudog18

• Minnow
Stick on eyes
« on: 01/16/17 19:59 UTC »
I have the 5 inch jerkbait and 3 3/4 inches swimbait mold. What size of eyes does everyone use?   Use 2d or 3d eyes?  Thanks.

Offline MonteSS

• Lunker
Re: Stick on eyes
« Reply #1 on: 01/17/17 10:49 UTC »
Get the Spike-it/Lureworks eyes. You can thank me later.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/18 18:10 UTC »
After reading this I ordered some eyes and the adhesive...and I'll be darned it's works!

Thank-you!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/18 18:31 UTC »
I prefer the cost, Color choices and look of these eyes...  http://lisaandedseyes.ipage.com/lure_eyes.htm

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/18 19:51 UTC »
But, you don't have to dip (clear coat) these!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/18 20:49 UTC »
I do anyways...  :D

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/18 21:46 UTC »
Never tried spike-it but have wanted to. I’ve tried the 5/32[2.5] and 1/4[4] 2d eyes from do-it and liked them on my 5” jerkbait and 3” frog. As for 3D eyes I found these gems on eBay by jigjunkie in the above sizes. I have only tried them on the Swimbait jig head and added super glue even though they are adhesive backed. Hoping to test them out on some plastic soon to see how they do dipped.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/04/18 07:34 UTC »
Foe beginners so there is no confusion.

The Spike-it eyes are "soft plastic" (PVC) and are glued on with PVC adhesive that actually " melts" the plastic until the solvent dissipates. If they stick as well as it appears they do, no extra dip in clear plastic is needed.

Any of the hard backed eyes are put on with super glue but need to be sealed by dipping in a coat of hot clear plastic or they fall off.

If you put hard backed eyes on jigs you need to put them on with a strong adhesive like epoxy or they fall off. I normally dip all my jigs with eyes in Seal Coat just to make sure they stay (or when I paint them with the airbrush).

I prefer to put eyes on my jigs vs baits when possible.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/04/18 08:42 UTC »
Foe beginners so there is no confusion.

The Spike-it eyes are "soft plastic" (PVC) and are glued on with PVC adhesive that actually " melts" the plastic until the solvent dissipates. If they stick as well as it appears they do, no extra dip in clear plastic is needed.

Any of the hard backed eyes are put on with super glue but need to be sealed by dipping in a coat of hot clear plastic or they fall off.

If you put hard backed eyes on jigs you need to put them on with a strong adhesive like epoxy or they fall off. I normally dip all my jigs with eyes in Seal Coat just to make sure they stay (or when I paint them with the airbrush).

I prefer to put eyes on my jigs vs baits when possible.

You and I do the same and so far, the only eyes I've lost were due to me smacking the hell out of my trolling motor or skipping under docks and hitting a post!  ;D

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/18 17:55 UTC »
Would these eyes work on Hard jigs as well?
Anyone try them?
Seems like if they were soft they may conform to some jigs a bit better.
Would still have to top coat.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/07/18 12:07 UTC »
After reading this I ordered some eyes and the adhesive...and I'll be darned it's works!

Thank-you!
Would regular pvc glue work?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/07/18 17:12 UTC »
I would think so...but it is normally colored isn't it?

I've done about 20 now and they are sticking well..if I put on enough glue!

I would give it a definite maybe! Needs some open water testing and we are a long way from that!