Author Topic: Rite Hete Melting pot  (Read 16149 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Rite Hete Melting pot
« Reply #15 on: 02/12/17 07:07 UTC »
Round 2:
I thought I would try Denny's suggestion of heating with microwave first then adding to pot to save time. I think I discovered a problem. I started out small with 3/4 cup Crystal Clear. Microwaved for 1 minute, as I normally start with, then stir and nuke again for 30 seconds. Upon stirring this time yellowing appeared. My plastic obviously has settled more than I knew. Round 2, although non-productive bait wise, has taught me a valuable lesson in storage and proper mixing of plastisol. And here I was condemning my new pot.
I'll try again in the next couple days. I also had my plastic stored in a 45° room for the last 2 months. I'll move it to the house at room temperature and mix thoroughly, then go after it again. :-[

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 02/21/17 21:23 UTC »
Round 3:
Started out with 3 cups new plastic. Set temperature on the pot at 350°. This round I wanted to see if the temperature would come up without the lid on. It does, and I think it may be better than covering it to rush the process. About 12 minutes the plastisol was beginning to gel. I stirred thoroughly, and 5 more minutes plastic was at 353°. Just to test what would happen, I left it alone for 20 minutes. The mix was at 340° in the center, and 357° on the edges. One more stirring and the entire mix was at 355° so I turned the temp down to 340°. After 15 more minutes I stirred again, and the whole mix was 342°. This thing is very accurate. The plastic was crystal clear, so I added 10 drops of X2 flourescent orange and stirred thoroughly. I wanted to keep the color as bright as possible, but needed to add 4 more drops of the colorant. Stirred again, let set another 20 minutes, and still perfect. I hand poured 60 open pour worms, taking an extreme amount of time to see if the color would darken from first pour to last. Absolutely NO color change with the new plastic. Man am I impressed, and relieved. The first worm is exactly the same color as the last. 2 hours and 45 minutes with the temperature at 340° and no scorching whatsoever. I am also liking the new long handle stainless teaspoon I use to stir with. It holds the perfect amount to fill each cavity on my 6 1/2" worm mold. I left it in the plastic mix to keep it warm and figured the heat would make it too hot to handle bare handed. Not so. The 14" handle was enough to keep it comfortable. I bought it at the Webstaurant Store online. I am going to buy a ladle with more capacity next to handle some other molds I have. Wish I was flush with cash. I'm thinking I may need pot #2. If anyone was wondering if a Rite Hete pot will keep plastic workable without discoloring, I can testify (with new plastic anyway) that it certainly will. Now, so far I'm happy. Lots more testing is in store.
« Last Edit: 03/05/17 06:59 UTC by Lines »

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #17 on: 02/21/17 23:00 UTC »
Glade things are working out for you and hope it continues to help your production.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 02/22/17 06:44 UTC »
Thanks Walleye Wacker. I am going to give this pot some rigorous testing just to see how good it is. Hellish amount of money, but last night's results are very promising.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 02/22/17 07:59 UTC »
Good stuff Lines. Though it's a set up that I will never own I still like seeing how people work through issues while learning new ways to do things.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 02/22/17 10:37 UTC »
Thanks for sharing.  For as good as it seems to work for you so far the price really doesn't seem that awful bad.  I'm going to keep watching your updates and who knows maybe someday I'll have one. I'm glad to see you're working through the learning curve pretty fast!

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 02/22/17 10:47 UTC »
I just got a quote from them on a pot so I'm watching your reviews carefully! Please keep us updated.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 02/22/17 17:51 UTC »
May be a few more days before i can play with it again, but I'll keep you posted.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 03/04/17 21:14 UTC »
Any update on the Rite Hete melting pot?

I really close to pulling the trigger on the pint VR.

Thanks

Andy
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 03/04/17 21:39 UTC »
I played with it a little more today Andy. Same results as last time, Excellent! This time I used some blue and gold glitter in a green pumpkin color to see how much stirring would need to be done. A slow thorough stir before each shoot is sufficient. Took a little more time to get the glitter completely cleaned out, but not too bad. By the way mineral oil works well to wipe the pot out when it is still warm.  I am really impressed at how true the color stays throughout the whole session. Honestly, it may be a little early to really give a complete 100% endorsement, but so far I love the results. I ordered a ladle to fill my injector instead of sucking it out of the mix, (another experiment) like  the Jerry V. method. I'm thinking it may be  a little less messy, we'll see. I am really liking the quart size also. I thought it would be a bit small, but now I don't think so. Maybe I'm getting old, but after working up 4 cups of plastisol into baits, I'm about ready for a break. I also built a new work area in my garage. I came across some excellent quality lumber taken from packing crates from work. Looks like Southern yellow pine. I made it 30" high to accomadate a rolling office chair I found at a used furniture store. Someday I'll have everything in place. :)
« Last Edit: 03/05/17 07:01 UTC by Lines »

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 03/04/17 22:07 UTC »

I really close to pulling the trigger on the pint VR

I think you'll be happy, 2 cups will make a lot of baits.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 03/20/17 19:34 UTC »
Finally got another chance to play with the Ritehete pot. I needed to fill an order for a good friend in New York. I also had to refurbish a treadmill for my wife, so I decided to do both at the same time. I added 3 cups of plastisol, 15 drops X2 geen pumpkin green, 1 dash .040 black glitter, 1 dash.040 red glitter, and set the pot on 350°. While that was heating up I disassembled the treadmill in order to replace a cord that our old jack russell terrier destroyed trying to catch a mouse. The dog has since passed on. No...I didn't kill him, he was 18 years old, and decided that he had had enough. About 1/2 hour had passed before I checked on the plastic mix. Upon inspection, the mix was a funny looking mix of green and clear with a few specs of glitter floating around. I used my long handled stainless teaspoon to stir and it was glorious, just the color I was after with red and black glitter evenly dispersed throughout. I shot the first mold, a BT 7 1/2" Fat Treat Worm, which by the way takes around 2 1/2 oz. of plastic to  fill, and let it cool while I went back to the treadmill. Ten minutes passed and I unmolded the worms. Perfect fill, perfect color. I went ahead and shot several more molds. McGrady newt, Flippin Hog, 3"Grub, 2" Grub, and BT 718 craw. Very good results with everything. A few dents and bubbles on some of the baits,(still trying to get use to drawing out of the mix instead of pouring it into the injector) but they were easy to chop up and add back to the mix. I learned that when adding sprue pieces and injector left overs, they melt much quicker by cutting the into smaller pieces just like you would with microwave reheating. I also learned that trying to use a ladle to dip and pour into the injector will not happen. Not by me anyway. I'm too clumsy, and that plastic is too hot. After all was said and done, the treadmill is back in operation, ready for the city wide garage sale next month, about 80 perfect green pumpkin baits and cleanup time, this session was around 4 hours. No color change from start to finish. I don't know yet how long you can leave it in the pot before it does affect the color, but 4 hours is pretty darn impressive to me. Now I can honestly endorse the RiteHete pot. I am glad I bought the 1 quart size. It fits perfectly with the way I go about this hobby. I still have a lot to learn, and a lot of changes from microwaving, but I think this is my preferred method now. Hope this helps someone in the future.
http://custombaits.com/gallery/medium_1154-190317211237.jpeg
I borrowed a camera for this picture. How do you guys take such awesome photos????? I need help.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I bought a new woodworking clamp to mount to the face of my bench to clamp molds. It will hold 4 at a time, but my injectors are only big enough for 3. That works very well.
« Last Edit: 03/24/17 06:48 UTC by Lines »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 03/20/17 20:36 UTC »
That's awesome. Im really glad to hear how well this is working out for you. I'm not in need of one at this time, but if I ever am I know where to look.  Thanks for keeping us updated.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #28 on: 03/21/17 06:33 UTC »
That's awesome. Im really glad to hear how well this is working out for you. I'm not in need of one at this time, but if I ever am I know where to look.  Thanks for keeping us updated.
Thanks Mike J.  I don't work for Rite Hete, I originally wanted to go with a Sta Warm pot, but things didn't work out. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging. I've been into plastics for about 5 years now, and have always been intrigued by this type of heating system. I couldn't get it out of my head, so I broke down to my incurable appetite and purchased this pot. I sold a bunch of things in order to afford it. I was a little nervous until I started using it. No more. Glad I did it.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 03/21/17 11:34 UTC »
Thanks for the update on the pot.

I'll be placing my order soon! Sounds like the solution to remelts and plastic changing colors due to overheats in the microwave!