Author Topic: Pyrex vs anchor hocking  (Read 6077 times)

Offline jones02

• Yearling
Pyrex vs anchor hocking
« on: 02/06/17 18:25 UTC »
Has anyone used both? They both are rated for 425-450. I've been using the anchor hocking measuring cups but just wondering if anyone is been using them for awhile or should I be switching?

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Pyrex vs anchor hocking
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/17 18:26 UTC »
Anchor Hocking for 5 years now.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/17 21:00 UTC »
I've been using anchor for 3 years now. No problems. I hear people say they aren't as good but I don't have any real Pyrex so it works for me.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/06/17 21:07 UTC »
The only Pyrex I have seen problems with or heard of others having issues is the blue tinted Pyrex. The blue stuff is terrible. Check the bottoms of the cups to see if they are microwave safe....it'll be stamped in the glass if they are and will say oven and microwave safe.

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 02/07/17 06:07 UTC »
I have been using Anchor cups for awhile now with no issues. Out of caution or just plane fear I started using the cheap beverage insulators that are made out of a thin neoprene like material. Got mine free from a hunting and fishing show. The thought was if the cup decides to fail the majority of the shrapnel and molten plastic will be contained allowing me to leave dodge. It also keeps me from banging it about against molds and what not.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/07/17 06:10 UTC »
That is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing Fishermanbt.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/07/17 07:38 UTC »
The plastic in the cup stays warmer longer too.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #7 on: 02/07/17 08:01 UTC »
I use both.  I'll use the Anchor for smaller runs, say 4oz and less.  I really like the Pyrex large mouth cups, especially when adding salt or HDA.  I've never had a problem with either brand cracking or breaking.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/07/17 08:41 UTC »
Iv'e used both with no problems. Wish they had one with a small pour spout, but I use a drizzle spoon for that.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/07/17 12:46 UTC »
When I first got into this in the late 1990's I was told that whatever I do I should not use Anchor Hocking.  ONLY use Pyrex.  This was from the guy that owns Del-Mart.  He said that the Anchor Hocking can explode and the Pyrex wont.  So I have only used Pyrex.  But it sounds like all of you are using AH without problems. 

I like the can cozie idea. 

Marc

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/07/17 13:01 UTC »
I hears something similar about AH and never ventured there....always have used the Pyrex. I have, however, had that blue tinted Pyrex bust in the microwave on a couple occasions and after mentioning it on a couple other boards was told it was made of an inferior glass and to avoid it too.

I have five or six of the Pyrex 1 cup measuring cups along with a couple of 2 cup Pyrex. By far and away I use more of my twenty-five or so 4 and 6 ounce Pyrex custard cups for most of my injections. I also have a couple dozen 8 and ten ounce custard cups that I use before the measuring cups. I have so much Pyrex on the work bench I could have a sale on it.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 02/07/17 18:02 UTC »
I have one 2 cup pyrex but the rest are all anchor hocking,  No problems.  I will be buying more anchor hockings in the near future to replace the ones that I have.  It just seems prudent to change them every year or so for safety reasons (I have banged mine into the table, against the micro and molds often enough that it seems to me sooner or later a weak spot will develop).
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/12/17 00:29 UTC »
That is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing Fishermanbt.

X2 on what he said.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/12/17 09:04 UTC »
I use Pyrex mostly because there is an outlet store not far from here.

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/12/17 10:51 UTC »
Do heat the plastic with the neoprene on....or does that toast the neoprene?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"