Author Topic: Going to be a challenge  (Read 1110 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Going to be a challenge
« on: 02/10/17 08:04 UTC »
The grandson had a 25 pound box of venison trim he wanted to use for summer sausage. With the warmer temps we-re supposed to be enjoying this weekend and week ahead of us we got it thawed and ground. Last night he came over and we stuffed his sausage. The smoker gets fired up in a short while for the first round, but man have we got wind. This could be interesting trying to hold heat and temperatures at a constant.

We did one pound chubs for him so at least that is a blessing as far as handling and heating. Now if I can keep the wind from driving the heat too high too fast.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Going to be a challenge
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/17 08:12 UTC »
All you have to do is move the smoker inside the house.  Jeez!

Online andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/10/17 08:29 UTC »
Or put it in the garage.....Might as well deep fry a turkey while you are at it.

I'll watch the Rochester evening news to see how it went for you! :o

« Last Edit: 02/10/17 08:50 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/17 09:59 UTC »
The first round is in the smoker now. I was thinking of wrapping the smoker in the electric blanket but then remembered that Denny borrowed it one night at his place when it got down to 73 degrees and he forgot to give it back. Between he and the dogs I'm sure it gets good use.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/10/17 12:05 UTC »
Are you taste testing them yet. Hope you were able to keep your temp were it needed to be.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/10/17 12:30 UTC »
Nothing burned to the ground yet Andy. ...key words being "to the ground". lol Good smoke today....apple and pear. Really putting the smoke in the sausage. With the wind I have to tend to the charcoal more often to keep it heating well, but all in all its going well.

No nibbles yet. As the chubs hit that magical 165 degree mark I hang them and pin prick the bottom end to get rid of any juice hanging around inside the casings. Tomorrow will be the taste testing target.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/17 13:36 UTC »
Can you give use a visual taste?

Offline bassinfool

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 02/11/17 10:10 UTC »
How do you like the pear chips?  I recently picked up some peach chips but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/11/17 12:34 UTC »
I landed a whole pear tree truck and big limbs a few years back. After getting it home I hit it with the chain saw and chucked it out at about 4",then split it down to usable pieces with the axe. I fire my smoker with charcoal and when I am ready to smoke I mix whatever woods I want by the chunk and add 4 chunks to a small pile. I make up two piles and then wrap and re-wrap with a second layer of heavy duty foil and set the two packets right on the coals. Smoke like crazy for about 45 minutes then dwindle down. When the first two are done I add more charcoal and another two packets of wood chunks. We had warm weather but a bit windy yesterday and I was able to get the sausages up to about 130 degrees but no more so I finished the heating in the oven until they hit 165. Out of the oven they get hung in the garage to cool. I wipe the sausages down as I hang them to get any grease or water off them. I just finished wrapping them in freezer wrap for the grandson. Knowing him these won't last too long. I did a taste test on one stick this morning and I have to say, this is about as good as I have done.

I have used peach pit husks for smoking Bassin. Those worked really well. Lots of smoke and sugar in the smoke so its a sweeter than hickory type of smoke. The actual wood or chips will give you about the same smoke as you'd find with pear/apple/cherry. Most of my fish gets straight fruitwood smoke. As a rule I use a hickory/apple or a maple/apple blend for beef, like whole brisket. For pork ribs I like maple and apple. On the maple, make sure its hard maple. We have mostly hard maple at the cabin I harvest a 8" diameter tree about every two years and handle it just like I did that pear trunk. The maple gets dried in the garage for a year before chunking it up,  then another year before using it. I have a hard time regulating the fire/flames in my smoker using the chips and a pan so I started doing the chunks and have been very happy with the way things turn out.

Offline bassinfool

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/11/17 16:57 UTC »
I like hickory and apple for pork and a blend of cherry/apple for chicken and fish dishes.  I'm excited to try the peach though; I need to get my hands on some maple I'm sure that gives the meat a really good flavor. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/11/17 18:42 UTC »
Bassin...I forgot to mention before that since I am keeping the wood sealed inside the foil while it makes smoke the lack of air creates charcoal from the wood. I like to mix the charcoal I've gotten by smoking foods when I cook other foods. Its hard to describe the flavors that come from the maple and the cherry charcoals when doing a rack of ribs.