Author Topic: Midwestern Jig HELP  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
Midwestern Jig HELP
« on: 02/19/17 11:50 UTC »
I would like to purchase the Midwestern jig mold but I would like to add a weed guard. Any ideas to the best way to do this?

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Midwestern Jig HELP
« Reply #1 on: 02/19/17 12:30 UTC »
Fiber or wire? Just peeked at it. The sizes are so small, I think you would be forced to go wire. I would lay one in the mold and clamp it in my vise. After that, if you need more adjustment, you could go two ways. Take a small hobby triangular file and remove just a bit of material along the impression the guard left with the edge of the file. Do this on both sides, of course. You could probably clamp a metal ruler along the impression and score it with a carpet knife. Let the edge of the ruler be your guide. Then dress it with a fine file.
« Last Edit: 02/19/17 12:41 UTC by Apdriver »

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/19/17 12:40 UTC »
I have been wearing out that mold!  LOL

Dremel.  ...wire is going to be the only way...as Ap said.

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #3 on: 02/19/17 13:52 UTC »
Thank you.
I definitely want a wire weed guard like on the wacky jig heads, I use those a lot.
I'm going to order the Midwestern jig and give it a shot.

Thanks again.
www.bassinthehood.com

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/20/17 04:19 UTC »
On the 1/8oz it may be possible but not on the smaller sizes unless you intend to use a light wire hook.

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #5 on: 02/20/17 12:38 UTC »
On the 1/8oz it may be possible but not on the smaller sizes unless you intend to use a light wire hook.

defiantly a lite wire hooklike the one on the wacky jig head.

Offline jmelton

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/20/17 17:34 UTC »
Purchased the Midwest Really like the 3/32 oz and the 1/8 oz pouring them with an #1 hook and the Do-it wire weedguard no mod fit's the mold like a glove.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/21/17 05:06 UTC »
Purchased the Midwest Really like the 3/32 oz and the 1/8 oz pouring them with an #1 hook and the Do-it wire weedguard no mod fit's the mold like a glove.

Do you have the wire coming out the bottom of the head or straight out from the hook eye? I'm asking because if you have the wire coming out the bottom it defeats the purpose. The head is shallow to allow for the large diameter so that a fat stick worm will be flush against the head which helps it come through light cover. If the wire comes out the bottom then the bait can't sit tight against the head, if it comes out under the hook eye, the wire weed guard needs to be bent downward after pouring otherwise the angle is too straight.