Author Topic: Lead Pouring Tips/Tricks?  (Read 2761 times)

Online DF

• Lunker
Lead Pouring Tips/Tricks?
« on: 02/16/17 19:03 UTC »
 I have been pouring plastics for a few years and would like to start casting my own lead. I have done a lot of reading about safety and watched countless how to videos, so I feel I have a basic understanding of the process and how to do it safely. I guess my question is do you guys have any helpful tips/tricks to pass on to a beginner?   

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Lead Pouring Tips/Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/17 19:28 UTC »
Get the best pot you can afford...Lee Pot...$50...RCBS....$400+\-.

Offline Apdriver

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/17 19:30 UTC »
+1 on what Denny said. RCBS is a hard pill to swallow, though. I make do with the Lee. I would also say get some Frankfort Arsenal drop out release. Easy to use with great results. I've always used Gulf parrifin wax as flux. Cheap and readily available at you local supermarket or Wally World.
« Last Edit: 02/16/17 20:02 UTC by Apdriver »

Offline jmelton

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/17 19:40 UTC »
Have been pouring a long time 1982.From jigheads to spinnerbaits,jigging spoons ect. Lee pots have done us well have two.Use clean lead,We use the lee hot pot two.Have two of them to melt our lead first skim off the bad stuff with a metal spoon.Pour clean lead into the bigger pot. About safety keep away from kid's,wife,dogs and cats.Also keep water moisture away.We also have learned by trial and error many!!! to add a small amount of aluminum to our lead.Can cut a small sliver "small" from tin pop or soda can paint will not hurt to our lead.Use scissors cut a piece about the size of a dime and add to lead.Makes things a lot eaiser.bE CAREFUL!!BE CAREFUL.DO NOT!DO NOT GET IN A HURRY.Hope this helps not a pro!!

Online Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/17 21:20 UTC »
I started pouring lead in early 2016. I only pour enough for myself and a couple friends, so I don't have a lot of knowledge to offer. I am satisfied with the 4# Lee pot and the Lee lead ladle. It is fast enough for my needs. I was nervous at first before I started, and like you, I watched several videos, and read many printed articles and materials to help get aquainted with the techniques and safety aspect of lead pouring. The nervousness was unwarranted. As long as you follow the safety measures, it is very enjoyable. You'll like it.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/17 01:06 UTC »
Been pouring a long time before plastic and have 20 lb lee pot that I've had for a long time and when I pour I don't pour less than 100 of what I'm pouring. I have several guys that get 1/16 oz. shad darts from me every year so there are always some on the bench in case someone needs some. I prefer the 1/8 oz. shad dart myself tied with hair or marabo. If your anything like the rest of use that has been pouring lead for a while you end up with a large veriaty of molds that suite your needs for what you like to fish for.  Look forward to seeing your creations. Words don't do justice for the enjoyment I have got pour jigs and plastic. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/17/17 05:17 UTC »
Thanks guys!

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/17 06:33 UTC »
  I've been pouring for over 20 years. All for my own use. I have always used a Lee Pot and for me they work fine. I think the two most important parts of pouring a lead molds is one get the mold warm first and two use good soft lead. You need to be able to scratch it with your thumb nail. I found a long time ago some old lead plumbing pipe. Bought an ingot mold and melted it out side. Man did it smoke while it burned off all the crude. But now I have lots of really good soft lead and that's what you need. As far as safety. You pour plastic so you know how to be safe.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/17/17 07:32 UTC »
I got started with jigs about 1965. A shop teacher and I used to fish together and he fashioned some molds out of hard oak and gave me one. It made two jigs at a time...a 1/8 and a 1/4. I used that mold for years and when I put it away it cast more like 1/4 and 3/8. Then I bought a Herter's Bullet Head mold with different sizes. My first Do-It mold was a walleye head. Pretty simple stuff back then.

You'll do fine with the lead DF. The tips you've gotten will shorten the curve nicely. Keep your work area un-cluttered and use the soft lead. A couple mentions of safety have been put out and I'd just add that until you understand how lead handles and have gotten the process down pat keep the pouring to yourself and keep kids away. A small drop of hot lead will instantly become twenty micro-drops when it hits a work surface and if little eyes are at the level of that surface without protection bad things can come from it. More than anything just use common sense.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/17/17 10:01 UTC »
I think the two most important parts of pouring a lead molds is one get the mold warm first and two use good soft lead.

These to bits of wisdom get even more critical with the really tiny cavity molds or those in the small to average bass/walleye sized molds that use heavy wire hooks... I have a friend who even preheats his hooks when casting ultra minnow spinners (in addition to heating the mold).

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/17/17 18:38 UTC »
Thanks everyone,  I probably don't use enough lead in a season to justify the startup cost of casting my own,  but the thought of being able to experiment and make exactly what I want far out way the cost.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/17/17 22:04 UTC »
If I could only continue with one (either making lead baits or soft plastics), I would stay with the lead because of the larger payback - especially when a fella starts to make musky gear or gets his bass gear robbed by pike... (lucky for us we don't have to choose).   ;)

Online Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/17/17 22:18 UTC »
It is lucky we don't have to choose. I love making plastics but also see lead pouring as a necessity.  It gets frustrating  when you can't find the weight of jig you want with the correct size hook for the plastic your going to fish.  I guess I really can't be without either.

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/18/17 05:28 UTC »
It gets frustrating  when you can't find the weight of jig you want with the correct size hook for the plastic your going to fish. 
This is the problem I have been running into.

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 02/18/17 05:52 UTC »
It is lucky we don't have to choose. I love making plastics but also see lead pouring as a necessity.  It gets frustrating  when you can't find the weight of jig you want with the correct size hook for the plastic your going to fish.  I guess I really can't be without either.

The two go hand in hand, for sure!