Author Topic: first open water  (Read 1052 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
first open water
« on: 02/17/17 12:59 UTC »
My little gem of a lake north of town opened enough over the last couple days that I could hit my favorite dock. Absolutely beautiful morning down there. Not a fish in site but its not always about the fish. My buddy Tom [yes another Tom] and I were content to watch the day unfold. A sweatshirt was all I needed for the first 1/2 hour then that came off and I got on with fishing in a long sleeved t-shirt. February 17 and fishing in a t-shirt.

Currently the thermometer says its 44 degrees. On the dock there was zero wind hitting us in spite of a pretty good breeze blowing. Full sun shining down on us and nary a cloud to be seen. My kind of February day.

With temps forecast to be near 50, maybe even 60, for the next 5 days the dnr and local law enforcement is warning people to stay off the ice on the lakes. I'm sure we'll get to read of a couple coming from UNDER the ice....always a couple who push the limits. Me? I like the dry dock. I enjoyed it today and just might enjoy it again this weekend sometime.

Online Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: first open water
« Reply #1 on: 02/17/17 15:57 UTC »
I am seriously thinking about putting the first two sections of my pier in so I got enough room to tie my boat up. It's just nice to see the open water again.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/17/17 16:14 UTC »
53 by me and the river temp is 33 yesterday. Sure wish it would stay this way but next week it's going to be in the upper 30 and 20's over night. Can't wait till the temps stay in the upper 30's over night.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 02/17/17 19:37 UTC »
It was 71 here today and supposed to be in the 60's and 70's for the next entire week.  Unfortunately my back issues won't allow me to fish but hopefully, I will hear good news on that front next week as well.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/17/17 20:10 UTC »
Olsarge hope the back is ok so you can get out.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/17 22:20 UTC »
Like Tom, I went out on a reconnaissance mission today.  The main lake still has about 16" of ice, but I found some open water near the springs in the northern corner... casting from shore, I caught six bass for about 10lbs total... looking forward to getting the boat on the lake and working the dredge lines for some bigger fish!

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/18/17 06:46 UTC »
The river opened up here yesterday. Still too many icebergs and debris to dodge for my liking but I did see three boats out fishing. I got the launch I use most cleared out so it's ready to go once I put the boat back together.

Offline olsarge

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 02/18/17 07:59 UTC »
Olsarge hope the back is ok so you can get out.
[/uote]

Thanks, at least we figured out what it is and begin treatment on it next week.  In the meantime I did what any sane person would do.  I bought a new mold

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/18/17 08:17 UTC »
Good luck with the back O.

2xl....the channel in the upper end of our lake opened up maybe a week ago enough to where I could have fished the dock I use but the water didn't want to warm much. I stopped a week ago today and dropped the thermometer in the drink off the dock and it was only 34 degrees. Yesterday the water was at 37. The fish generally start to show at around 38 degrees, but this is the earliest I have ever seen the lake open at this point in the calendar year. I think there are crappies around but not a lot of them just yet.

I'm convinced that fish operate a lot on a chronological clock....length of available light during a day, etc. Even with the open water and rising water temps I just feel that the time isn't right yet for the crappies to make a shift. The bay across the lake from the dock is ice covered and in a normal year crappies would begin to show a good bite thru the ice around the 1st of March in that location. Guys goofy enough to walk out on the ice yet are not seeing that bite happen yet, even with the warmer water being spun around thru the whole basin with  the current.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/18/17 16:48 UTC »
Tom, I was out on a local lake Thursday chasing gills and crappies again. The bite was OFF but the ice was still good for foot and ATV traffic. I did see a couple driving full sized trucks out on the lake. As you hinted at on another thread and I agree, those guys are pretty much statistics just waiting to be logged if you ask me. I figure the local lake ice will be good for walking on for a few days yet. It will all depend on how much rain we get Monday. I would love to get one or two more panfish missions in before the ice totally rots = wait and see.

Normally the river here  is a snowmobile highway come winter but this is the second winter in a row I never saw a sled track on it save one set of tracks that crossed it in one spot. Whether the guy was a daredevil or dumbarse is open for debate. My thoughts are he was the latter of the two choices. LOL Anyhow, the river is %90 open now but I'll wait for the burgs and other flotsam to clear a bit before I venture out on it in my boat.

Just fired the grill up to make dinner and saw my first Sandhill Cranes fly overhead. They are early this year. I wonder if they know something I don't weather wise ?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/18/17 17:54 UTC »
Seems early for sandhills. But then we have trumpeter swans at the lake a couple blocks away. Who knows what's in store for us.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/19/17 07:43 UTC »
   Here in mid state Ohio it got up to 65 yesterday and looks to be the same today. We have open water and I see guys posting on going up to Erie and catching some walleyes. I'm sure March will raise it's ugly head and mess this all up. But it's sure nice for now.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/19/17 07:45 UTC »
I'm sure March will raise it's ugly head and mess this all up. But it's sure nice for now.

No doubt. April can slap a guy in the face too.

Online MT204

• Keeper
« Reply #13 on: 02/19/17 17:31 UTC »
Just came in from a day of fishing......30" of ice!

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/19/17 20:05 UTC »
Actually warm here today!!!  Actually started melting some stuff but they're worried about the rain we're supposed to start getting and it might flood some areas.