Author Topic: Why we should ALWAYS wear long pants  (Read 5529 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Why we should ALWAYS wear long pants
« on: 02/24/17 14:30 UTC »
I have been molding baits for about 10 years, without any major incident. The picture below is a reminder of why we should always  follow safety rules like wearing long pants and closed toed shoes! All it takes is a little lapse...knocking the cup off the bench with the injector,  to have the possibility of a significant burn!

No injury at all to my leg. Now I just have figure out how to get the plastic off my jeans!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline mrex

• Kicker
Why we should ALWAYS wear long pants
« Reply #1 on: 02/24/17 16:01 UTC »
Yep I few months ago foot was in a cast. Also had never had a incident. Sure nuff talking on phone and injecting at same time. Pulled injector with pressure still on it. Only piece of skin I had exposed was my toes that cast did not cover.
Long story short that crap hurts. Blistered my toe. Went got a over sized sock to put over it after that.

PS: That is not coming out of your jeans. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: 02/24/17 16:02 UTC by mrex »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Why we should ALWAYS wear long pants
« Reply #2 on: 02/24/17 16:27 UTC »
"PS: That is not coming out of your jeans. :)"......X2

Shame its not on the back of a leg then you could just people you had an "accident". Getting up there Andy and things can occur now with age.....
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/24/17 17:19 UTC »
Glad you're okay Andy.
That's just wrong ctom, funny though.
« Last Edit: 02/24/17 19:01 UTC by Lines »

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/24/17 17:28 UTC »
Funny you mention this, Andy.  Just YESTERDAY I got distracted for a second, and didn't realize how hot the plastic was....hotter equally thinner viscosity, and I "dripped/shot" a line of hot plastic about a foot down my leg.  I Was able to peel it off, which showed me how dirty my jeans were everywhere BUT where the plastic was.  ;D  in fact, i missed some, and later my wife (who normally is a woman of MANY MANY MANY words, simply looked at me and said, "Nice". I said, "what?" then looked down and Ooops- had some plastic in a crazy spot!  ...was thankful it didn't burn through there!  ;)

Like you, that was the first time EVER I have done that.

I was thinking the SAME THING too- always long pants, and closed toed shoes.  In the summer I have always poured in flip flops.  Probably gonna be changing that now.

Offline mrex

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/17 18:28 UTC »
Super thought you was packing to move down here? What you doing messing around.
We going to catch all the fish before you get here. :)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/24/17 19:12 UTC »
"PS: That is not coming out of your jeans. :)"......X2

Shame its not on the back of a leg then you could just people you had an "accident". Getting up there Andy and things can occur now with age.....

I hate to say it...but I was thinking the same thing!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/24/17 20:07 UTC »
Way back when I first got into injecting I had a mishap with an injector and blew maybe 4 ounces of 350 degree plastic all over the place. My shoes, pants, and fortunately a long sleeved t-shirt and my glasses got a lot of it. I still have scars on both hands from burns that took up-ward of two months to finally heal. I also have scars on my legs and one arm from where the hot plastic 's heat went right thru the fabric and cooked me. Thankfully no hit the head or face.

While at times we can pop a joke about a near miss like Andy has pictured, this plastic is serious business and just on little slip can end up poorly. I made light of Andy's pants leg but know full well how easy it would have been for him to have been scorched badly.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/05/17 21:25 UTC »
Working in a trauma/burn intensive care unit will make you think twice about playing with stuff that gets as hot as our plastics.  Burns are no joking matter so be safe fellas.

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/05/17 21:55 UTC »
On the seriousness of what we do, I do totally agree- not to be taken lightly for sure. 

Mrex-
Super thought you was packing to move down here? What you doing messing around.
We going to catch all the fish before you get here. :)

Yes sir, no kidding!  I am here- in Houma.  ...we put in an offer this afternoon on a place in Dulac!  Will keep you posted!  BEAUTIFUL down here even more than I imagined.  Absolutely breath taking.  ...in a very awesome amazing way.  ...and my wife and I have been blessed to have travelled to many places on this earth.  Gorgeous here.  Ready to be here.

I have real spotty internet svc here so it may be a few days.... but hooooo-eee!  :)  Save me some Reds!