Author Topic: Wire tied Skirts  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Bsudd

• Yearling
Wire tied Skirts
« on: 03/09/17 00:01 UTC »
Could I use a collar on my skirts and then wire tie above or below it or would that be to much. I really want to wire tie because I'm selling for my custom bait business. I also like the collars with rattles, but I keep reading about that collars do not last long. Any suggestions?

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
Re: Wire tied Skirts
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/17 04:03 UTC »
Yep and I do it for speed. You can pre-make your skirts and when ready, put on the jigs, adjust and tie.  You can add a few highlight strands prior to pulling tight.  If you want you can snip it off. It is a minor cost, some use O-rings to hold then tie.   Try red for contrast or gill color look.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/17 06:11 UTC »
  Some use wire and some use thread. I tie mine on with thread. I have an old fly timing thimble that was my grand fathers. With a little practice it's not that hard just to hold the skirt make a few wraps adjust and finish. Once it is tied I check it and make any final adjustments needed and then I put finger nail polish to seal it. Once it's dried I have never lost or adjusted a skirt ever. I'm a jig fisherman. I'd rather fish that way over all other ways. Not adjusting that skirt is just one less thing to think about. I think wire tie is just as good. I'm just use to doing it the other way.

How I tie. I take 30lb braid and tie it in a loop. Lay the loop with the skirt on the jig. Make my wraps with the thread. Take the two tab ends and put them through the loop. Pull the loop so both tab ends go under the wrap. Cut tabs flush. No knots and a tight wrap
« Last Edit: 03/09/17 06:17 UTC by Lamar »

Offline Bsudd

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/17 21:16 UTC »
Yep and I do it for speed. You can pre-make your skirts and when ready, put on the jigs, adjust and tie.  You can add a few highlight strands prior to pulling tight.  If you want you can snip it off. It is a minor cost, some use O-rings to hold then tie.   Try red for contrast or gill color look.

What's a good size wire around 24G?

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/17 01:35 UTC »
That is what I use.  You can get some floral wire at hobby lobby type stores, Wally World, etc

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/17 10:32 UTC »
I use 26-28 if I can find it. 24 works just as good. But harder to hind in under the. Band. I use bands as a accent color too. The smaller the wire the easier it is to cut the skirt so don't pull to tight.

Offline Bsudd

• Yearling
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/17 18:19 UTC »
I use 26-28 if I can find it. 24 works just as good. But harder to hind in under the. Band. I use bands as a accent color too. The smaller the wire the easier it is to cut the skirt so don't pull to tight.
So you saying you use both band and wire together? My post may be a little confusing. I want to wire tie but was asking about using band to hold skirt in place till I tie it, then just roll the band off.

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/17 18:22 UTC »
You can leave it. I use red and red wire mostly for an accent.

Offline Bsudd

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/17 23:24 UTC »
You can leave it. I use red and red wire mostly for an accent.

Ok thanks, I have been debating whether to even tie or not. Or just use the collars? I've been wondering are collars made better these days where they last longer? I am selling my Jigs for my business so Just thinking if I should just go with red collars.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/13/17 16:12 UTC »
I wire tie all of my skirts.  Jigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, you name it.  It keeps the skirt from slipping and you don't have to worry about the collar dry rotting and falling apart on you.  If your baits are good quality, and that includes a quality skirt that won't slip or fall off, your customers will take note of it and look to you for their future jig needs as well.

Offline Bsudd

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 03/14/17 16:27 UTC »
How many wraps do you guys usually do with the wire? I'm using 26 Gauge right now and doing two wraps each direction pulling up tight, twisting, and folding the little extra over. That seems to be working pretty good. My skirts are flaring out real well and looking great!!

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/14/17 18:25 UTC »
How many wraps do you guys usually do with the wire? I'm using 26 Gauge right now and doing two wraps each direction pulling up tight, twisting, and folding the little extra over. That seems to be working pretty good. My skirts are flaring out real well and looking great!!

That's how I do it. And yes I leave the band on.

Offline Bsudd

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 03/14/17 18:33 UTC »
That's how I do it. And yes I leave the band on.

Well I just been using an o'ring to hold in place till tied then I just been rolling it off.