Author Topic: Froggy's and Walleyes  (Read 2344 times)

Offline malcourt

• Minnow
Froggy's and Walleyes
« on: 03/09/17 16:23 UTC »
For the past 20 years we have fished a lake in South Dakota where in the spring every Walleye is full of Frogs! Also many dead frogs on the surface missing legs or other body parts. The problem is that there's so many damn frogs it's difficult to get the walleyes to bite!

Once frog time is over it becomes a great lake again for nice Eater size fish and even many Jumbos! This little lake is actually better than the Missouri River just for walleyes. I never have noticed this ever being a problem in the fall or summer just the spring.

Now for the best news, I have fished top water frogs And Diver frogs in the spring with great success on other lakes. The absolute best bait when it comes to frogs Is just a live one sitting on the bottom but I've only had success in the spring!

For some reason the frogs will out fish other baits 3 to 1! Anyway next time in the Spring take out your top water frog even in 12 feet of water and see what happens. You may be shocked!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Froggy's and Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/17 17:51 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/17 18:04 UTC »
Great tip malcourt. We use to fish the Missouri river for channel cat, and there was always a mid summer toad bite. For some reason it only lasted a couple weeks, sometimes only a few days, but it was wild when it was on. It seems like channel cat and walleyes follow a similar pattern, and use similar struture. Thanks for the post, and Welcome to custombaits.com.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/09/17 18:10 UTC »
Intertesting. The walleyes and saugers go after frogs here in the fall and to a lesser extent in the spring. In the fall, when you start seeing frogs in large numbers jumping across the roads in the marshy/low land areas it won't be long before they start showing up in walleye and sauger stomachs. Last fall the walleyes and saugers just went nuts for this crankbait.

It's a Cotton Cordell Jonted Grappler Shad  CDJ-14 The color is called white perch. UNFORTUNATELY this bait has been discontinued and is near impossible to find. Fortunately, after an extensive search I found a few over the winter but I would take a dozen more if I could find them.

Welcome to the forum !

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/17 18:21 UTC »
 Intersting note here. I have fished all around SD but never in it. A walleye on a frog bite would be awesome.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/09/17 19:08 UTC »
Welcome malcourt.  I love fishing SD. Don't make it for open water until memorial week but I'll give it a try. Im sure that at least the smallies will be all over it.

Also I find it interesting you say spring because around my local rivers it's fall when the walleyes are stuffed with frogs.

Right now we have been noticing frogs in walleyes but small almost like a tree frog.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 03/09/17 20:07 UTC »
Welcome there are others here that frogs in walleye. We're I live I haven't run acrossed any with frogs in them.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN